1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire air pressure and ballast

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by green frog, Dec 1, 2007.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I just but on BFG AT's 265/75/16 load D on my 1995 f250 and wondering whats a good tire pressure is with a 7.5 western pro plow and 500 lbs of ballast. Also with ballast, I have 300 lbs between the wheel wells and 200 lbs at the tailgate. Should I move more toward the tailgate?

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

this is probably the most posted subject out there LOL

jsut do a search

but the tires say for example "max 2167 lb at max infl 65psi that means those 2 tires will hold up ~4243lb so if you ain't carying that much weight there is no since blowing them up there, lower psi more traction, you can weigh the front axle at any grain elevator, feed mill ETC.

edit: on the same token we have a 05 chev half ton reg cab longbed with NO ballast with BFG. AllTerrain's and it does great even with 24" of wet snow but the tires are real low in psi (~19-20psi), less weight better fuel eco.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I like to run the psi up and add weight for plowing.

PowerJOKE;) Is right lowering psi will improve traction but it will increase the likely hood of your tires and rims being damaged.
    You may even pop the bead loose resulting in a flat.

Ever have to change a tire after you have been plowing for a few hrs?
    Hint;) Your spare will be frozen in place under your truck.
    Not something you want to be doing at 3am in a storm.

Every plow truck should be using some weight in the box, out by the tailgate:waving:

I thought we just talked about this lol:D