1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Advice...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HarryCarry, Nov 9, 2010.

1. HarryCarry

HarryCarry Junior Member

I'm looking to buy new tires for my 1997 GMC 3500 Diesel P/U 4X4 single rear wheels. I have LT 225 75R16 on there now.

Anyone have suggestions on what size and brand is best to fit on 16 inch rims? I don't put too many miles on this truck during the year, just use it for local runs and for plowing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has a set of decent used ones for sale located in the NY metro area, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
    Harry

2. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I would recommend Cooper, I know alot of guys like them. I put a set on my dump truck for this coming winter, however I would stay away from Bridgestone Duelers AT. I had them on my 98 2500 last year and I didn't feel they held up too well. Got 10,000 miles out of them, still some tread left but not enough for another winter. They will be replaced friday with Kelly Safaris that were recommended by a mechanic who also plows

3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I went with the Kellys for my 2500 this year because they're $65 per tire cheaper than the Coopers

4. snowtech

snowtech Member

i have found the bfg's to be the best for our fleet. but there are a lot of posts on here about tires you can spend hours reading them all. good luck with the kellys hope they treat you well. if they do let us know. b/c the bfg's are not cheap, in fact i have 2 trucks that will need new ones in the next two weeks.

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

BFG A/T
    okay you got an answer! We can close this thread.

6. 3ipka

3ipka Senior Member

Agreed..... BFG A/T for the win

7. priwi

priwi Junior Member

If you don't mind the price go with the Dueler A/T Revo 2 - LT, great plow tire that you can drive year long. There seems to be a shortage of them right now so if you find them buy them.

8. DJM2011

DJM2011 Junior Member
    from 12033

9. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I am a big fan of goodyear silent armor I have had bfg at and the didnt last as long as my goodyears, also the are awsome in the snow.

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I second that. All of our trucks wear them.:drinkup:

11. HarryCarry

HarryCarry Junior Member

I appreciate all the recommendations, guys. This helps me narrow my choices down as far as brands and styles. The thing now is to get the tallest and skinniest tire that will fit.

Does everybody agree that tall and skinny equals better traction?

12. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

yes. look for 235/85/r16's e range, but check load rating, there is alot of variation even within e range tires.

13. HarryCarry

HarryCarry Junior Member

Thanks ProTech. I'm checking on 235/85/r16's right now.

14. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

I am no tire expert but last year I got tired of using my all season tires for plowing. I plow two really steep hills and have slid down these hills in the past. I bought a set of Blizzak snow tires for my GMC Duramax. They work so well I now can plow up and down these hills in two wheel drive. What an amazing difference. Now I am looking for another set of wheels for my "summer tires"

15. HarryCarry

HarryCarry Junior Member

RPK- Those Blizzaks look pretty nice and reasonable too. For the minimal amount of driving off-season I do, I could probably leave these on year round.