1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TIR3s

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by DeereFarmer, Nov 20, 2007.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

What do you all know about the Whelen TIR3 LED lights? Are they as good as they seem? Can you wire say four of them together in the grille and synchronize them? Do they need a separate power supply to make them flash? I'm new to this whole light thing. I'm thinking of putting two (maybe four) in my grille and two on my crossover toolbox when I start volunteer firefighting. We are required to have lights and I don't really want a lightbar because my truck won't fit in the garage. I was thinking a few TIR3s and a Whelen 90 Watt 6 head hide-a-way kit would to the trick and I'd have a nice sleeper fire truck without drawing a lot of attention to myself.

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I dont have experiance with the TIR3s but I have the LIN3s which are nearly identical except the reflector is setup different. Mine are amber and they are SUPER BRIGHT. I also have the soundoff predator IIs in my grille and even though they are brighter, its not by much and they have 8 gen 4 leds in them. They can be powered without an external flashe module. They have a sync wire that allows and # of them to flash at the same time. So if you put 4 in your grill then you can have the 2 pairs flashing alternately. At least i beleive that is how they work. I have 2 LIN3s, one under the F_250 badge on the front fender on each side. I have a video of them in strobe video thread. its the video where im in an install bay with the bay lights on.

3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

yes you can wire 4 at a time i believe and they have a wire that can flash them at the same time ... they dont require external flash pack ... easy to install .. for the money is worth it

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Check into www.whackerusa.com The Traffic Cleaner Series are super bright and not that expensive. Just an idea.:)

5. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

6. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

I like the LX4's over the TIR3. Better output, ability to have split colors, and split flash patterns and only a few more dollars. For the front of the truck these are great lights.

For the side of a vehicle I like the linear style light. They have a wider range of light output and are more suited for the side of a vehicle. LIN3's are nice but I prefer the Xtreme 6's for only a few more dollars again.

7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I have two TIR3's on my license plate on a bracket. Very very bright and at eye level of most cars. You could put those on a front license plate as well. The bracket makes installation a joke. You could even rig up two of those brackets to do your grille installation

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

9. DeereFarmer

Thanks for the info guys! If I don't go with a lightbar, these will be what I'm getting.

10. DeereFarmer

11. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

my opinion

The TIR3 light heads are awsome lights, i have done many installs at my department using them and they have a great directional output, personaly i would go with the LIN3 lightheads due to the fact that they have a wider light output and can been seen better at more of an angle. I have two 500 series Linear 6s (next step up from the LIN3) in amber on the back of my toolbox and they are bright! alos they can be seen when standing on the side of my truck which eliminates the need for side warning. If you plan on plowing and you are a volunteer firefighter I would look into these lights http://www.brookingindustries.com/instructions/758632068.gif These lights have the ability to run amber for plowing, and then by taping a momentaryt switch run red for responding to calls

12. DeereFarmer

I'm also thinking about mounting two on the rollbar of my tractor.

13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The TIR and LIN's are mint to install becuase they dont require a power supply. Very simple to install and you can Sync a ton of them together. If you get bound up First Time, let me know. We have done many ford truck light installs...

14. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Im pretty sure you can only have 8 max, sync'ed up.

15. DeereFarmer

That's more than I need, so I should be good to go.

16. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

I have way more than 8 synched up. No problems so far. I have heard this discussed on other threads / boards, and all agree you can synch more than 8

17. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

That's a lot of wire to run around the truck :dizzy:

18. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

19. 04f250xlt

04f250xlt Junior Member

20. DeereFarmer