1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tir3/lin3

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by WOODY367, Jan 2, 2009.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Is there really a noticable difference between them? The LIN3 are suppose to give more side coverage if I am correct. I am looking to mount them on the plow head gear and want a little side coverage. Thanks

2. TLC Snow Div.

TLC Snow Div. Senior Member

yes the LIN is more noticable from an angle compared to the TIR. The LIN is also brighter. Looks a bit nicer to because it as a clear lense.

3. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

yup gp with the LIN3

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks guys

5. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the lin3 and the tirs are the same light just differnt lenes

6. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

This may be a dumb question, but are these lightheads run off a 60/90w strobe power supply? I'm in the same boat with my SD, there's nowhere to mount the strobe head in the reverse light. Running the stobe head in the red taillight section is a no-no here, so i was going to run 2 grille lights up front and 2 LIN's on the rear. Sound plausible?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

The LIN's and TIR's are LED's with self contained flashers no power supply needed just power and ground wire. You can sync them together to have the flash together or alternate.

8. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Not quite. The LIN, short for LINEAR series of lightheads have different optics than the TIR or Total Internal Reflector series, which puts the light in different places. LIN3 is no brighter than a TIR3, but they offer better off-axis light output aka more diagonal output.

9. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

That is perfectly doable. For only a few dollars more, you can get another LED's worth of output by going with the LIN4. There are no power supplies or flashers necessary with the LED lightheads from Whelen as they have all the electronics built in.

10. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Well I ordered the LIN4's. Hope to have them by end od the week. Next will be the Whelen LAW4

11. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Excellent choice.

One other thing, ditch the LAW4 (their output sucks) and go for the Vertex. There's no need for an external flasher and they're a lot cheaper!

12. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

The VERTEX have 1/2 the LEDS and when side by side in a truck the LAW4 is brighter.I can get the LAW4 new ib box with the 20' cables for $370.