1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tips, Tricks or counseling on how to assemble an XV2?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Oct 16, 2013.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Just picked up a new yellow steel version, 8.5' size, in the crate. Figured it couldn't be THAT hard to install it. Had a buddy come over and after struggling for a while, threw in the towel for the night. I guess I should be happy the clearances are so tight, but we could not get even the 1st wing to fit into the t-frame (and silly if you ask me how they put the t-frame and headgear in the crate where the jack is right on the cross bar of the t-frame rather than just pinning them together).

The only thing I can think at this point with just 2 guys without equipment (bobcat, hoist, etc) to do this is to just lay the wings face down on the floor and remove the t-frame from the headgear and line it up, then try to get the pin in there and somehow then pull it back over without breaking anything... Am I missing anything? Installation instructions make it sound like a 5 minute ordeal, ha! :cry:

Thanks, Jeff

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Hmm - or maybe I should install the headgear with t-frame on a truck and try that way? We could not get the angle right to slide where we needed to (on a concrete floor).

Curious what the difference is, but FYI the XV2 takes a different part # plow module (on pump) than an XV...

Thanks!

3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

So your trying to assemble the wings and headgear? I used a jack to line up everything and then had 2 people hold each wing

4. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Assemble the headgear/T-frame section then put that on the front of your truck.
    put a block of wood on top of a floor jack and put them under the front of the T-frame and raise so its level.
    Then get 2 friends and have them hold the 2 wings in the right spot as you sit in the middle and make sure they're lined up just right and tap the center pin in with a hammer.
    Grease the **** out of the center pin makes it go in easier.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah, trying to get the wings onto the push frame and the pin through all 3 pieces. The headgear comes pretty much fully assembled (just need to connect it to the push frame etc.).

We did use a floor jack to raise the t-frame to get level but we were whiskers off and couldn't get the PS wing over the bottom while under the top (IIRC) on the aframe. Guess we'll try again this time with the headgear/t-frame on the truck to make sure it doesn't move/can't tip over, and try to scramble a 3rd guy.

Just for reference, did you guys have the push frame in bottom, middle or upper holes when you were able to line it up?

Nothing looks bent/tweaked, but how much clearance would you guys say you had between the wing and t-frame? On mine its nearly a press fit even when we get the angle perfect...

6. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Yes assemble all of the headgear and put it on the truck, use jack just to hold the front up.
    I had it in the middle hole.

Yes it is snug, set both wings into the T-frame as close to lined up as you can.
    The guy in the middle should have either a big screw driver or little crow bar, and a small sledge hammer.
    Don't look at it as you have to slide the center pin all in one shot, just take it one slot at a time, slide through the first one, then line up the second, and then third etc. etc.

7. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

It may be easier if you have access to a pallet jack... Just me and my old man put our 9.5 xv2 together.... Stood the wings up and slid them together and held each up from falling over with 2x4's wedged into the x-bracing.... Then I pulled the headgear and tframe assembly forward on the pallet so the front part of the headgear hung off the pallet by about a foot... Pushed the headgear in and used the pallet jack to adjust headgear height.... Needed to finagle a little here or there but eventually got it to go.... Dealer told me that they have had to grind a little on the hinges due to very thick powder coat.

8. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Plow has been sitting in the garage because I didn't feel like dealing with it, but the time had come.

Tried this to a T, but no dice. Maybe I am a 'lucky' one with a lot of powdercoating. It is TIGHT! Put the headgear on the truck, shortchained so it was just a bit below the wing then used a jack to make small adjustment up. Could get the lower hinge on the T-frame pad, and got the upper hinges on plow and tframe to line up and started the pin. Could not get the middle hinges to line up no matter what we tried - pushing in that direction, swinging from scoop to vee, and even some banging. Going to try again tonight while borrowing a big pry bar to hopefully line them up.

At this point, it wasn't worth the $2-300 saved to get it in a crate rather than assembled. Maybe it is just this one but would not do this again and everyone (instructions included) seems to make it seem like it just slides together. My FIL suggested removing the paint which makes me cringe on something I just spent $5k on...

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

How about a bigger hammer?

10. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

After you angle it a few times, the paint will be gone anyway. Clean up the paint, coat the surfaces with grease, and give it another go. This process was tough on my Meyer as well, couple of friends and some prybars and eventually it went together.

Here is another thing to try if you can:

Get a slightly undersized diameter pin. (piece of black iron pipe maybe) Assemble a-frame and wings oriented normally. After everything is together, flip the plow forward, and push the real pin through while pushing the undersized pin out the bottom. Might take some prying on various parts to get final alignment for the real pin, but using an undersized pin will help get things close. Could also lift the plow 6" with jacks after installing undersized pin, and cut 6" at a time off the black iron pipe as it comes out the bottom, if you want to keep the plow oriented normally.

11. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Be careful about hitting too hard with a hammer-if you damage the hinge or mushroom the pin at all-you will stand no chance until you grind the damaged section back to original size.

OP-one other thing I forgot, to make sure nothing is damaged-can you slide the pin easily through each section independently (left wing, right wing, and a frame) without much resistance?

12. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

There is a piece of metal at bottom that pin rests on so we'd have to cut it off then get it rewelded. Hopefully the pry bar will be enough.

13. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

That sucks that the pin won't go all the way through-you could still try using an undersized pin to help get everything aligned, even though you'd have to take it back out. Might help keep things from falling over as you pry where you need to. Also remove the paint, and make sure the pin slides easily through ever piece as suggested before busting any more knuckles. Good luck.

Where in CT are you located?

14. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Got your PM. Congrats on getting the wings assembled, be sure to put up a picture or 3 of the new setup! Should be a nice rig.

15. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

As mentioned, I was successful in getting the wings on, and the rest was cake as expected. Ending up using a BF pry bar to help line them up. Upon further inspection, it looks like the bottom hinge on the PS wing was made slightly off (or maybe got bent). All the other gaps have say 1/8" and that one is right on there - it actually makes a slight binding noise while moving that wing. I'll try to get a pic of that.

In the mean time, here are some pics after hitting it with some Fluid Film. Seemed to go on thicker than I thought, but then I read after that you can adjust the tip of the gun??? Didn't come with instructions so thought it was idiot proof xysport. And yes, the PS headlight is dim. The truckside harness had a slightly melted plug that I didn't realize until after I put it on when I bought the truck and set it up last year. It was fine for the winter, but afterwards decided to do this more often than not so its on the list of things to do... I removed the stops that came on it and put the short stops on. Still have about 1.5" or so of room between the spring mount and pump cover. No ballast in the truck so that will help bring the front up a touch which I'll need as the snow tires are a bit shorter at 245/75 vs. these 265/75.

EDIT: I like the yellow, but I'll be honest a part of me wishes I had just coughed up the extra dough for SS...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Looks great. Best scraping plow I hAve owned.

17. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

IMO the yellow will always look better than the SS, especially on a V.

18. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Looks like you might have to raise the front end of the truck a bit, if the snow tires are shorter than those ones it looks your plow will barely be off the ground.

reguardless, that is a great setup you have there!

19. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

That is part of the reason they dont recommend travelling in full V.

The snow tires are about 1" shorter diameter so about 0.5" closer to the ground from that but as I said I also didn't have any weight in the back so it will probably net out to be pretty close to the same. When its set I'll try to remember to grab a tape measure.

Thanks for the compliments all!

20. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

That truck also looks like it holds the plow great