1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tips to newbies on insurance/law suits

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by HDChevy.Farmer, Dec 26, 2013.

1. HDChevy.Farmer

HDChevy.Farmer Junior Member

Yes I know this might sound like I'm getting started late but hey I'm only 16 and just found the deal ive been looking for on a good plow(older 8 foot Meyers with e47 pump). But any ways Holy cow I just got done reading a thread on law suits.... geeeez. I never even thought about all this law suit stuff. I am only plowing residential mainly but one of my best friends dad owns a few apartment complexes with just residential drive ways (no big lots) that I'll be plowing but what would you guys say I should do for insurance?!!???! And also I understand we need the clearest contract you can get. I am very new to this so you guys are a bug help thanks!

2. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

No company is going to write a general liability policy for a 16yr old.

3. jim5x5

jim5x5 Member

Call an insurance broker. It's your best bet being young. Good luck.

4. HDChevy.Farmer

The policy would have to be under my mom and dads names for me, just like my truck and trailer title is in my name, insured for me but still on same account as my parents, I just wanted input on this cause i was reading a thread on here about rediculus law suit cases and everyone said be pre paired for the worse case scenario

5. jim5x5

jim5x5 Member

Your better off talking to an insurance agent. Every state has different laws, and a simple wording issue can mean big problems for you later on.

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Your parents will have to list you as an additional driver on their policy, but each carrier has it's rules / regs for whom can do what ? As others have said, it's prudent for you to contact the local insurer and discuss it directly with them, as your age poses an issue that only they can answer with any accuracy.

Good luck, and post the information that you find, as ultimately it may help another in your situation.

7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Why don't you go work for a bigger company, learn the ins and the outs... Make your mistakes then go work for yourself? Worst case you make a little less for a couple of years until your old enough and wise enough to run a snow removal company, best case you don't bankrupt your parents with a lawsuit...

8. HDChevy.Farmer

I get what your saying but you don't really see law suits with residental drive wayys do you?

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You haven't met enough people, just wait.

10. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

unfortunately yes.

11. HDChevy.Farmer

12. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This is great advice. Work with someone to learn the biz. Crawl, before walk. Walk, before run.

13. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If you take anything out of this thread I hope it's this. You should be thinking about college or high school graduation right now. Heck, if it snowed in the evening you're too young to be out past 11:00 or midnight.
    Not picking on you but it's the truth.

I graduated college and still plow...but I have options.

14. HDChevy.Farmer

I live onn a farm and work for my neighbors farm so I'm checking bred heifers that are soon to be calving checking those through out thee night and I've always stayed am A B C student... and a few of my older buddies plow and could sub for me / if theirs a huge storm thaty equitment can't handle

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

There's no way you are an A/B student, reading these posts proves that.

Where in IL are you?

I'd work for someone else for a few years and get a feel for everything then start doing your own stuff if you want. You may find that you like being a sub or running someone elses equipment and continue to do so. And you're getting paid to learn.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  16. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

And then again your 16 and don't have anything for them to get.

17. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Yeah, but living at home, truck registered in his fathers name, etc..... his parents lose everything.:cool:

18. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I love how we bash someone young wanting to start his own business or grow his existing one. and we do it by hiding behind the old bs statement "you should be focusing on high school or college".

I don't think he started this thread to listen to a bunch of people tell him he should work for someone else or not at all and focus on school.

he wanted answers on how to handle liability. and a few did give him the best answer and that is to talk to an insurance agent. I'm gonna second that answer and add while I'm sure it can happen, in the 8 years I've been doing residential snow removal I have yet to be sued.

keep doing what your doing kid. wish I'd of had my business going when I was 16.

19. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Bashing ? or providing an answer to a question posed by the young man who started the thread ?

Wouldn't bashing be something to the effect ...????

"You're stupid..... Go work for someone else, you dumb ass !! "

What's wrong with going to work for someone else to gain experience on their dime ? It would provide the perfect platform to start his own business after gaining the knowledge by working with / for someone who's already put in the time / effort / hard knocks.

If you as me, the guys who are suggesting gaining experience are actually looking at the OP and his best interests, vs just telling him to stick his hand in an open lawnmower housing and see if his hand gets cut off. His parents have a lot to lose being the situation that it is. It won't help him to coddle him and pretend that there are no pitfalls before him, should he venture down this road by himself.

At 16 years old, I can't see any insurance agency allowing him to get his own commercial policy, but then again, he hasn't said that he's gone to the local agent yet, now has he?

20. HDChevy.Farmer

Truck is in my name