1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tips to Keep Salt from Hardening

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Andy N., Jan 10, 2003.

1. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Anyone have any tips that they know of or use to keep salt from freezing into a block in their spreader. I have a V-box and I had a miserable bout with this the last event. I don't leave salt in there at all, only load up, salt and put back in the pile if any left. Can I mix something in the box to prevent this. I know there is a little moisture in the pile, but it remains covered, as does my spreader but man, what a pain in the but with the digging bar and a total Time KILLER!

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Mix in some calcuim chloride w/ your salt.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I sue the magic O-it works,no more solid clumps of salt,and it reduces the rusting substantially.I sprayed my pile myself,but you can buy it treated already.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

We actually did this to get rid of some bagged calcium. We mixed one pallet into 50+ tons of salt. It turned it into concrete when it was left in the spreaders. Actually, only one had salt left in it that had to be broken up to get out. The rest had been emptied during the storm. The one that hardened was kept tarped for 2 days. After we went through the mix with calcium, we would leave one hopper full of Magic salt for spot saltings for a week at a time, tarped, with no problems at all.

~Chuck

5. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I have not yet run into this problem. We keep all salt in a barn. Then load up as needed. I keep the hoppers totally covered, we had a guy that makes boat covers make us one for our spreaders. It snaps all the way around. Does a nice job and have not had a problem so far.
    Thanks

Rick

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

If you do a search here you can find a thread on this subject that gives the technical details as to why... But you can spray a little water onto that frozen block of salt & the chopping with the digging bar will go a whole lot easier. Make it wet bulk salt again & you can get it to spread to empty the spreader at least, then start over from scratch with a hopefully better situation.

7. Canadian-Ron

Canadian-Ron Junior Member
    from canada

calcuim chloride works wonders for me

8. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

This is true as I just tried my first Magic run through my v-box last Friday and I left the Magic in the spreader over the weekend. I came in this morning and looked at it. It had a hard crust on it and I hit the panic button because to the touch it looked all hard. I pulled over to the pile and turned it on and off real quick to see if the v-box was all jambed. It came right out no problem. I had visions of becoming good friends with a shovel and bar in the back of that box today but the Magic came through.

9. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Gordyo

Jeff, where did you get the Magic in this area?? I am from Georgetown. Bulk or bagged? Any help is appreciated. Thanks . Ryan

10. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

KatWalk,

Sent you an email with that info

11. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

Can you get magic in bulk ? or anyone have a cost per bag?

12. Brian Akehurst

Brian Akehurst Junior Member

A couple of you guys were saying you leave Magic in your spreader throughout the week for spot treatments. The key to doing that is like you stated, keep it covered. If you let moisture get in there the magic will begin to work right in your sander. Tip of the week ... KEEP IT COVERED!

Just my 2 cents,

Brian

13. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Brian,

I am new to using Magic. This may be a stupid question for me to ask but, do you mean covered regardless of whether the truck is kept indoors or out. My truck is indoors in a heated garage and not tarped. Should I still tarp it ??

14. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Gordyo,inside is fine,the only time you'll have problem is if its outside and it rains or snows heavy,the water will wash the magic-o right out of the salt,and out the bottom of the hopper,then your left with straight salt,wet no less,and then it turns into a block of ice.If there is no precipitation,you can leave it outside uncovered too.

15. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Thanks John:waving:

16. Brian Akehurst

Brian Akehurst Junior Member

Gordyo,

Sorry I did not get back to you but John is right. Also I would recommend to be careful if you are out spot treating in freezing rain and don't use everthing, if the Magic gets wet outside and you bring it inside it will do the same thing as John said.

Thanks, Brian

17. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Thanks to all of you for all these Magic tips.
    I am still on a learning curve with this stuff.

18. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone know why my stored salt turned hard We had minus 36 Celcius here couple days ago One pile with a blue tinge is still loose the other that i got late fall is brownish and now is hard ??????

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

it Froze :nod:

20. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

DUH OKAY,Dont worry
    i got a sense of humour