1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tips to jump a stuck conveyer?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jimhoff, Dec 12, 2006.

1. jimhoff

jimhoff Junior Member
    from Alaska

I like the PolyCaster, but the conveyor does not want to power up and start under the weight of a fresh one-ton load. The conveyor is adjusted correctly and does not slip, it just tries to budge, can't move, and I get a red error light on the controller.

The first time I dug all I could out of the exit chute and it finally started after many tries.

The second time I went over some bumps, worked the brakes, dug out the exit chute, and it finally started after many tries.

One time I just kept trying the start button and it finally started.

What do you think and what have you experienced about the following ideas?

1] Point the truck up and then down a steep ramp whilst trying to start it....

2] Buy sand the day before I need it and park in a hot garage....

3] Hook 2 batteries in series for a quick 24-volt jump-start directly to the motor--I especially like this one, and the manual does not say anything about voiding the warrantee if you do this ;) ....

4] Leave the spreader running while it's being loaded....

5] Modify the controller for reverse--so I can "rock it" unstuck....

6] Inverted v plate over the conveyor area....

7] Vibrator....

Any other things I should try?

2. GSE

GSE Senior Member

8] Read this thread since the only difference is the Tornado is Red and the Polycaster is yellow. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=37426

In all seriousness, I don't own either but I read through this thread and it seems like DD might have missed the boat with this spreader.

3. jimhoff

jimhoff Junior Member
    from Alaska

I tried leaving the sander running as the loader dumped in the load. Other than the equipment operator giving me a wierd look, then telling me I left the spreader running, it didn't stall. The 10-foot loader bucket spilled more off the back of the 6-foot hopper than the spreader lost running while being loaded. I was spot-on the 8200 GVWR at 3/4 full damp road sand.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would junk the thing and get an Snoway Stainless Electric.with a real drag chain. I can run Salt Salt/Sand or straight sand and have never had a problem. They make them as small as 5ft long to 8ft long.

5. payton

payton Senior Member

forward retreat sounds like the best idea..

i wouldnt try and jump it 24v.

also like the upside V idea should be simple nuff

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Consider contacting Karrer/Sure flow, their link is on the top of the page. They claim their controllers and harness are better the OEM and have a "Jackhammer" start feature that's suppose to solve that problem.