1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tips on rebuilding an Isarmatic Unit?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PBinWA, Feb 13, 2009.

1. PBinWA

PBinWA Junior Member

Hi Joe Homeowner here,

I recently bought an older Western unit with a electric Isarmatic III system.

I purchased a new motor and a rebuild kit from Discountsnowplowparts.com.

Is there any tips or advice before I tear into this thing? Anything I shouldn't do?

I have no hydraulic repair experience but am otherwise reasonably handy (at least I like to think I am :rolleyes:).

What the best way to clean parts once I have them disassembled. Is it OK to just clean them with gas?

I do have all the manuals from Western and everything appears pretty straightforward.

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Brake parts cleaner is all I have used for years just make sure to wipe down good and dry before reinstall.
  3. PBinWA

PBinWA Junior Member

Thanks! I'll pick some up.
  4. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Parts cleaner is what I've used as well. I've also has to use the torch on a few of the screws that didn't want to turn. It doesn't usually require a whole lot of heat, and after the screw starts to turn I try to cool it off with some snow or water to try to keep from wrecking any seals (it's best to get as many as you can removed before you resort to the torch). I've been lucky when it came to not wrecking any of the seals due to too much heat, you may or may not have the same luck.
    I'm guessing from your post that you only plan to replace the motor and pump. I would clean out the inside of the pump housing with carb cleaner (the mount on the bottom of the pump housing is also a drain) and make sure the screen is cleaned out as well. It wouldn't hurt to use anti-seize on all of the bolts before you reinstall them as aluminum and steel tend to corrode when they are combined.
  5. PBinWA

PBinWA Junior Member

It looks like I will be replacing most of the seals on the unit since the rebuild kit apparently comes with them. It looks like I will be disassembling most of the unit including the diverter block.

I won't be replacing the pump (I hope) I will be putting on a new filter and I think there is a seal underneath the pump. I was planning on taking it out and cleaning and inspecting it. Hopefully, I don't have to replace it.

Thanks for the tip on the anti-seize compound. I noticed something on the bolts when taking the motor off and figured that was what it was.

I don't expect to have it all done before next winter but would like to get it done before mowing season starts. It just seems wrong to be working on a snow plow in the summer. ;)