1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tips on Just plowing convenience stores..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by info4tim, Dec 1, 2015.

1. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Am a sub plowing (only) convenience stores for first time. Been plowing many yrs. Any dos, donts or gotchas in this arena? Thanks in advance.

2. r6mikeyo

r6mikeyo Junior Member
    from Erie,PA

Back up slow. People dont care youre working. And it will be your fault. Take your time during the day. It will be frustrating lol

3. dpeej123

dpeej123 Junior Member

i second that, people will be flying behind you, infront, and to the side. i do a few 711 and exxons in my area and i can say frustrating for sure.

4. r6mikeyo

r6mikeyo Junior Member
    from Erie,PA

People pretty much suck. And then you may have some issues with where the snow goes with the employees. You can only put snow where there isn't cars. Like say of the pile gets too large and blocks the dumpster but they keep parking in the way of another place you could put it. Buts it's your fault your dumb and cant magically make it disappear

5. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Run away if you have any liability and are not in control for ice management

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just try and get there before the morning rush and evening rush.

7. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

No liability as mentioned strictly plowing - nothing more as sub. Have excellent vis with led backups n 360 deg warning lites maybe they'll help. Very good points you all are making esp with customers walking around in lot! Always subscribed to premise that Most plow accidents happen while in reverse. Will be esp careful. Thanks all

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I know the gas station I go to, the plower there actually has a spotter that gets out of the truck. It does not matter how many lights you have, people are just for themselves and do not care you are trying to plow.

9. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

Just because you don't salt doesn't mean you have 0 liability. I personally wouldn't do it. I plowed a gas station/convenience store and it was a nightmare. On another note, I think flashing lights make people dumber. They panic or stare at the lights instead of what they are doing. We don't run strobes on any of our trucks and have never had an issue

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You can make the entire truck flash and people won't care

11. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Get a big steel bumper for the back end

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Just say no.

13. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

This is true. They don't care if you are plowing, shoveling, or blowing snow. They will find a way to get in the way and make life a pain. :angry:

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I must be ignorant or something, Get your price and plow it,What's the big deal?

15. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

I have my shoveler direct traffic and it works good. Even if I have to shovel when Im done plowing its faster than waiting on the idiot customers

16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

During the daytime you should only be plowing main isles and not needing to back up much, at least every convenience store I've done is like this. Maybe put a back up alarm on your truck. But like other's have said people just don't care, they'll be sneaking in right behind you, darting in and out and if your backing up your on the hook. We do a couple very busy ones and unless there's a car or two I just plow what I can going straight. Just pay attention.

17. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

make sure they mark the fuel tank fill covers with a cone

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

YES OMG is that a pain in the ars!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nothing worse than digging out caps at 4am

19. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Is there ANY salting to be done there, or is it "I will call if I want it"? You will have craters to plow through within 3 weeks with no salt.....packed snow is going to get 12" deep because you can't get to it before the hoards of morning rush people do...

20. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Kiss what sanity you have good bye.

There's only one way to plow gas stations and convenience stores: Salt, and lots of it.