1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tips on installing your own

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sledhead, Dec 7, 2001.

1. sledhead

sledhead Member

Just bought a new F-250 Super-Duty w/ a 5.4.
    Replaced the 4400# front leafs w/ 5200# units
    (could not get the plow prep pgk w/ the other pkgs I wanted)
    Got a Western 8ft. Pro Poly blade w/ the ultra mount and cab command comming in next week.
    Ok, heres the question.
    Has anyone installed their Western plow themselves?
    If so, what kind of tips can you give me?
    I replaced the front leafs my self and am on a first name basis with the undercarriage of this truck.
    Im well equiped with hand and air tools, and have the scars on my knuckles to prove my experience.
    It seems to me that its just a big erector set for grownups.
    Am I wrong?
    Are the instructions easy to follow.
    Thanks in advance for any info...............Sledhead:cool:

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i just had the same plow installed on my new chevy only steel and from the looks of it .........it was a very easy install, especially if you have already installed new springs i would think the plow undercarraige will be easier
  3. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

I have the same truck only a 2000 model, and the install was done by my dealer, but it seemed just as you described "a large erector set". It took some extra time for the drilling, but the rest is just bolt on stuff except for the electrical. If you have the time and the tools, I think it's a good weekend project.

Now a question for you. Did you get your replascement springs from Ford or aftermarket? I've found here in Central Pa. that no one carries parts that new. If you would, could you pass along the OEM numbers so I can purchase a set? Thanks in advance....
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Take your time.
    Try to hang the frame off existing bolts and loosely assmeble before drilling any holes. This will make sure alignment is right. Not sure how the Western subframe hooks to the main plow but on Fishers you have to make sure the tabs are aligned and the right distance for the plow to hook up.

I think you will find that the wiring takes you longer then the subframe.
  5. sledhead

sledhead Member

The 5200# springs are from Ford. These are "V" coded units.
    New part no. 1C3Z-5310-AE
    old part no. FOYC3Z-5310-AL
    These are sold singularly, so order 2.
    I paid $125.00 ea.

ps. One pair of 4400# springs for sale. 2 weeks old. $200.00

6. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

Thanks for the information Sledhead! Ordered mine today and should have them installed before the first snow fall....
  7. sledhead

sledhead Member

These new springs will raise the front of the truck about 1 1/2 inches. I found no need to raise the rear as they make the truck almost sit level. Looks real good in my opinion.
    Ride is just a tick rougher but not as bad as I figured.

8. intimidator

intimidator Member

I don't know about a western, but i put an 8'2" Boss V on a 99 F-250 S-D a couple years ago with no instructions and it only took 5-6 hours to put the puzzle back together, so a new western with instructions couldn't be all bad. Common sense and a little patience go a long way.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

i've installed 6 western mpv blades, it is a piece of cake.follow the directions it's helps if you have a friend to help. saftey is the most important thing. use blocks of wood to keep your fingers from getting injuried. when you take the ford bumper off use a milk crate to put the bumper on ,you will need two people on each side of the bumper so you don't mess up the fenders.for the under frame,keep all the bolts loose untill your ready to drill the frame. oh also make sure you have a good drill around and a good 1/2 drill bit.if you call me i can give you so more tips.716-877-1651 calllate afternoon or late evenings.ask for al