1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tips on hiring a snow plow company

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Dec 8, 2013.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

What's your permit #? I'm gonna make a few and sell them online to make some extra $, I have no snow yet this year. Bring the scam up a notch.

3. grandview

[​IMG]

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Who's a slinger? lol funny to me they got to put that stuff on the news. What does a permit cost GV? you got to buy one for each truck? each city? lol

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Grandview > You were not mentioned in the video as being reputable.

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

"How do we know the plow jockey is going to come through and plow the driveway".........Just classic:laughing:

7. grandview

I think the permits are 25 bucks for each town you plow in.

8. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Penny Pender from the better business bureau, sounds almost made up.

9. Billious

Billious Member

Those seasonal rates sounded ridiculously low, am I missing something?!?

10. grandview

nope,ave rate here.

11. Turf Z

Turf Z Senior Member

For $250-$400 what trigger are you pushing the drives at? Those are avg rates around here too from what I know.. but all our resi customers want a per push billing.

12. grandview

2-3 inches most times.

13. Turf Z

Turf Z Senior Member

That'd be about 25-30 pushable events here. Even with waiting until the end of storms.

14. grandview

yes it is.

15. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

permit???? to plow snow? c'mon.....nobody needs 10 bullets to kill a deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!!!!!!!

16. m.williams

m.williams Member

that news article sounded like a big 'we want to collect more taxes from the little guy advertisment'. make sure your plow guys are paying us for nothing.

17. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I hated that whole story. I don't take credit cards, so I must not be reputable. It was, however, nice for the TV to tell everyone how much to charge. No more "what do I charge for..." questions coming out of western NY. The permit would pay off if it was enforced. I'd gladly pay that $15 to know the beer money guys would be taken off the road by my local law enforcement. I'm gonna go hand out some slingers tomorrow I think.

18. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

The story was timely in that every year some where you here a story about a scammer ripping off elders, single moms and the like. So how do you make your self different (a pro) vs the hacks,lowballers and outright rip-off artists? Each year my operation has growen and attracted new customers one item i talk about is the fact i have appropriate insurance, local business license and tax registration it seems to be working. in the next season i want to investigate S.I.M.A and C.O.R can they increase the safety insight we bring to our customers. For them to get into the pricing was off base in that driveways are not all the same, Grandview in your area would 400 be the top end for a large driveway?

19. grandview

4 bills is a good price. I'm doing 2 this yr and thats what I'm charging .2 car wide 2 car deep.

20. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

It's always the "bad stuff" that leads - where is the part of the story where they interview the guy who busts his ass to service his customers 110%? Where is the story of the guy who is up all hours of the night making sure the job gets done perfectly…woulda been nice to see the counter to that, but no - paint us all as idiots and crooks. Bad reporting - or rather - producing.