1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tips on getting jobs?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by vintage steel, Jan 20, 2012.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I have gotten a few reoccurring jobs, 3 small commercial lots, 6 4-plexes, a few private drives.
    I don't do contracts but, I am methodical and they always call me back
    Just wondering about tips as far as getting more jobs.
    Flyers? word of mouth? door to door? cragslist/papers etc.?
    I am sure, on a long enough timeline, I will have all I need, I know there is good money out there.
    What works best?
    It may be too late to get much more this season but, It never hurts to try.
  2. Army Vet

Army Vet Member

Do a search on here and you can get alot of info on what works and dosn't.:drinkup:
  3. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I tried that, several different ways and didn't find anything on the first few pages. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
    Got ant suggestion on search parameters?
  4. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

there are lots of sites to go on to advertise for free and putting name on trucks seems to do the best for me over the years
  5. Krrz350

Krrz350 Member

I had door hangers made for my flyers & so far they have generated a few customers, the biggest thing is being able to give a couple of them (or business cards) to people you just did or friends/family to spread the word.

Go to google, and type in 'google places', register, it takes a few weeks but then when someone google's "Snow plowing your towns name" you'll pop up. Best part- it's free.

As for the flyers, finding places to put them up is pretty difficult, I've gotten most of mine off on doors, it sucks going door to door, but after a storm you just run up to houses that are snowed in & offer, if they don't answer leave a hanger & on to the next one. I should have also had lawn sign mades, arrrrgh.

I'm in the same boat as you though man, just starting out, & I want 50+ resi accounts + a few small lots for when the snow is flying. I'm getting an ad in the local paper coming out in a few days, hope that generates some good business, and now that I have pics of some of the drives I've completed I'm getting ready to launch a website.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

First thing is lock those other ones you already have with a seasonal contract. Then pickup a few more next year that are close to what you have now. Do that by sending in a blind bid and a call a few days later.
  7. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

I'm in the same boat! trying to stir up some more business. I handed out 1500 flyers went door 2 door and left them in mail boxes and door handles hoping to get 1-2% call rate so far 0.4% maybe timing was wrong handed them out in dec and we have not had snow! I also use free websites but it seems slow hope to get calls when we get a big snow!
  8. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Dont leave them in mail boxes, its illegal unless its stamped.
  9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Word of mouth is the best. But I advertise in a few phonebooks, and online places. With that said, growing slowly and surely is the best way to go. If I get a call from someone that is price shopping, chances are I will not get the job. But if I get a call from someone who is looking for a good job, then I have an easier time selling the job. Don't price yourself to low to get work. Know what's fair and stick to your guns. And if you do bid a job to low, provide them with great service and don't be afraid to raise your price to what's fair.
  10. bigz64

bigz64 Junior Member

i know a lot of guys on here like to advertize way before the snow flies, have found that doesnt have the greatest success all the time. people forget about the previous years' winter.

the best i have found is driving around after a decent snowfall and catch people shoveling their properties (residential or commercial) have a nice bs session with them and leave them a business card or post card or better do it there and have a few blank contracts ready to fill out in the truck to lock them in the for rest of the season.

i sorta like making firends everywhere i can. i do more than just snow clrearing, so you never know who will be a great networking contact in the future and in different seasons
  11. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

Some good tips, guys. I appreciate any and all help.
    Got any more, feel free to post them up.
    If I come up with any clever ideas I will also share them.
    Thanks again
  12. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Does anyone know if thats true for Canada? Because I get stuff all the time!
  13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Only if you get caught!
  14. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

I usually live by this law! but my name and number are on those flyers! sorry sorry no speakeee english wroon numberr!
  15. Krrz350

Krrz350 Member

I'm a fan of it being like that though, only someone with serious motivation & drive to succeed is going to get out & knock on the door.... and the next door..... and the next door...... Plus, would it really be as effective mixed in with junk mail? It's less personal, plus more people/business' would do it as well.

Anyways I stumbled on a good business plan for a landscaping company and thought of you/this thread, there is some marketing info as well but the rest of it is very informative & might get you thinking about some other aspects of planning to grow & thinking towards the future.

16. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

price depicts number of accounts go cheap youll have all the work you need . price them big and do less for your money.
  17. Krrz350

Krrz350 Member

Do you (Or anyone else out there) find that the people who DO call in advance of the first storm tend to be better clients in general? (Easier to deal with, on time with $$)