1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tips from you big guys on making the jump to having several large properties and subs

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by trqjnky, May 7, 2012.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

alright, every year i try to add a little more to my snow business. started out just doing drives, then took on a school district, added an apartment complex then a warehouse. now im wanting to grow a little more and land a few more apartment complexes. buy a couple more trucks, maybe a dumptruck to sand with. and subs for what i dont have the equipiment for.

first off, any tips on trying to land multiple properties through one management company?

what works and doesnt work with subs for you?

anything else i should pay attention to?

edit: im not asking for a step by step guide, but for processes that worked for you, or things that went badly.

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

In my market we have found we do better on multiple small lots as opposed to on large lot. I made the jump your talking about 2 years ago, now after have spent a good bit of money I'm reversing course :( , hopefully we can find homes for the big equipment to make it all work. Of you need more PM me, & I can explain it better.

3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

what im mostly hoping to do is land more apartment complexes. trying to service all the properties for a company. i just need to figure out all the ways it would benefit them to sell it i think

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Benefits?...... a few come to mind.....

1) single company billing...... less work for their accounts payable dept
    2) Sell the seasonal.... easy same payment every month (accts payable loves this)
    easy to budget
    "bundle" all if you can into one payment
    its "insurance" for a big snow year (but cya get a 3 year contract)

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

not hating your idea but.......
    think about this ......
    >>>> all your eggs in one basket <<<<
    what happens if they do not pay
    good luck with whatever you decide

6. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

I want a couple different companies. I want to keep what I have, just add a company that has a few complexes.

7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

shhhhh! Don't say that out loud.

I'd much rather plow a big box for $70/hr than 5 small lots for $300/hr.

Can't whack it over smaller lots and medium duty trucks.....

8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

:nod: I love those 10 to 20 minute lots close to each other. Throw in a few walks, some salt and ice melt for good measure............Thumbs Up