1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for Plowing with S10

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 97S104x4, Jan 1, 2010.

1. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

does anyone have any tips for plowing with an s10.
    it has a 6.5 meyers full steel plow not poly blade

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

:confused: Don't plow against the grain?!

3. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

I would say make sure you always get some momentum before you drop your blade. Make the weight of your truck work, not the truck itself.

4. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Go slow and steady, don't ram piles, and start saving up for front end parts and brakes. If it doesn't have one already, put a tranny cooler on it. Also, make sure you use ballast, and make sure you have good snow tires.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

dont let the snow get much over 4-5 inches before you go out. or you wont be plowing much of anything. plow with the storm, the little trucks needs to do this more then the bigger 3/4-1tons because they just dont have the power or weight to push the deeper snow easily. go slow and be easy on her, she not really built to be worked, so things will break much easier if your kicking the piss out of it.

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

there was a guy on here who did a frame off restorations on a 2wd s-10. He made it 4wd and put a plow on it for a bit but I dont think it was holding up for a plow truck. He then turned it into a an off road vehicle

7. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

My s10 Blazer works good, but like said, they aren't a heavy powerhouse. Don't try and do too much with it.

8. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

I had an s10- extended cab, plowed with it til the body fell off....DEFINITELY IS a work horse, 4.3 is a monster of a motor, just dont forget some weight in the back

9. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

thanks guys i have plowed all last year no problem with the truck except for overheating issues if i try to travel to far, this year so far so good no issues

[​IMG]

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I plowed with a Bronco II with a 6 foot Meyer for 3 seasons. The big thing is to plow with the storm. Go out when it reaches 4 inches and do all your places. It's better to do it twice and charge once. So you don't kill your truck. When you stack snow climb the pile and stop. Don't spin the tires, this tends to break U joints and CV's. Get momentum before you hit piles. Drop the plow as you get to them.

11. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

isnt your truck for sale?

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I plowed with a Bronco II with a 6 foot Meyer for 3 seasons. The big thing is to plow with the storm. Go out when it reaches 4 inches and do all your places. It's better to do it twice and charge once. So you don't kill your truck. When you stack snow climb the pile and stop. Don't spin the tires, this tends to break U joints and CV's. Get momentum before you hit piles. Drop the plow as you get to them.

13. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

my truck??

14. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

On RI craigslist I thought I saw it

15. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

Thanks for posting that!!! NO its not for sale
    thats a joke my uncles posted that without me knowing

16. pajamie

pajamie Junior Member

'05 Colorado

I've been thinking about buying a '05 Colorado and putting my poly blade on it.. I only plow my personal drive and at my parents.. My poly blade is on a 1990 GMC thats pretty much falling apart and know the framework won't work and will have to get something else but, What should I do to the truck if I did buy it before pushing snow??

17. hobbyjeep

hobbyjeep Member

I have a 97 S-10 ZR2 regular cab, short box w/ 6.5 ft. Fisher plow - Great for residential drives and small lots. With the 4.3L you have the 4L60e transmission. Key to long transmission life is to come to a COMPLETE stop before shifting between forward and reverse (assume you have an auto). DO not shift while rolling or you will take the transmission out. Truck has enough engine, but light- put some weight in the back. If deep snow, use Low Range to keep engine RPMs up and transfluid flowing.

18. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

and do this for the weight? http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=99197

19. pajamie

pajamie Junior Member

Ya think I should do something with the front shocks, like go with gas so I can pump them up stiffer to support the weight or even go with a heavier spring??

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  20. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher HT. Turn up the TBs and/or add Timbrens. I dont use ballast since I only use mine for my driveway and family at times. Plow with the storm every 5-6 inches max.