1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tips for getting public works jobs?

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by aperfcrcle, Dec 16, 2012.

1. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

Hey guys, don't know if anyone actually works for their townships or just subs out snow removal, but I will ask it anyways. I have owned my own landscaping co. for a few years now and it's starting to be a real headache to say the least. I have been looking into my local towns (smithtown, huntington, etc.) for possible employment but it seems practically impossible to get these jobs unless you are close knit with someone who holds a high position for that town. I am going to go down to a few personnel departments tomorrow to speak with people and see what I can do to greater my chances of being considered. but I figured I would put a feeler out on here to see if you guys have tips? Thanks for any responses, appreciate it!

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Having a class A cdl and some heavy equipment experience is always a plus when looking at municipal work. Any road work experience is helpful too.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Usually these type of jobs are smack full of nepotism so unless you know someone or are related to someone high up in the food chain,you don't stand a chance of getting in.

4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

The town I live in, you are only used as a sub when they get "overloaded" with work.
    They play the we already have pickups and dumps. So they're pretty much looking for graders and loaders. (At least here)
    They also require a 2 mil liabiltiy which is the least of anyone's problem.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your talking working as an employee, then most are civil service so you need to place in the top 3 just to be considered for an interview if there is an opening. Of course knowing someone helps too.

6. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

kinda figured its impossible without knowing someone. I was on the phone with the personnel departments of 2 towns already and they refuse to answer pretty much any questions. Guess I will keep paying taxes out my ass and competing with non legit companies.

7. grandview

So then then your trying to do work as a sub contractor not working as an employee. If its a bid then it's public record as to when the contracts run for. Check with your town hall and get the bid specs.

8. BossPlow2010

That is quite an accusation, surely you have something attest to this.

9. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

No i was looking to work for them as an employee.

Attest to high taxes? easy, I live in the state of New York.. illegal workers? Come to my town and I will drive you around and you can write every business name you see on a truck down.. then you can go to our county's website data base for licensed companies and you can see for yourself how many of them are licensed to work...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  10. grandview

Go back to post #5 again.

11. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

licensed just means proof of workmans comp, properly insured ,bonded and traceable . its called pay to play .

12. tuney443

The OP means he's tired of trying to run his biz against the problems he's up against so he'd rather get out of business and simply work for his town's highway dep't. Clear as mud but I think I got it.

13. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

amazing! someone gets it lol

14. BossPlow2010

What about the companies that don't reside in your county? :eek:

15. tuney443

It wasn't easy fellow New Yawka.For what it's worth,in my little paradise of NY,there is no licensing of tradesmen except for a few circumstances.

16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

...so you go to the bid opening. First they open bids from non-connected guys like us.
    "BossPlow2010, license number 4161296, $12,000."
    "aperfcrcle, license number 6126237, $11,400."
    "grandview, license number 987161, $13,000."
    "theholycow, license number 2357715, $11,700."

Then they get to the guy they like.
    "ConnectedGuy, license number 1461611, hmm" <a dozen pages from the bid are shuffled around> "...hey Mike, does that look like mumblemumble?"
    "Yeah, it is."
    "ConnectedGuy, license number 1461611, $11,350."

Been there done that.

17. grandview

That don't sound fair,Around here we staple hundred bills on the bid sheet we turn in.

18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats about it too! :nod:

20. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

where I live it is illegal to work without a license. There is a test required to take as well as minimum requirements your company needs to meet in order to get one.

Theres only 2 counties in my lovely slice of paradise, and the other county has an even more strict licensing procedure haha.