1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tips for driveways

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by skinut2234, Feb 6, 2014.

1. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

Looking for tips/better ways to clean driveways-
    I have an F250 crew cab with Arctic plow (so turning around sometimes is a pain)- To handle a long driveway- what is best way? - the apron always seems to be hardest part.... if I drive up apron and push snow up driveway and off to the side- I am ok- but then I drove over snow on the apron making it harder to push out (plus town doesn't exactly like that)- Looking for better ways since I get asked a lot by my neighbors to just do a push or 2...
  2. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

You're kind of between a rock and a hard place. The only helpful thinng that I can say is if its a light push the snow toward the house and the hand shovel it on to the grass.
  3. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Ah a fellow bus plow guy like myself lol. I've got an 04 Sierra 2500HD ext cab and a full box!

This is what I've been doing.

I start by cleaning the mouth of the driveway.

Then I push in wind rowing to a spot where snow can actually go.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  4. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I then back drag by the house/garage dragging the snow far enough back so that I can back the truck in behind it.

Then I back in and push out to left or right side of driveway.

If it's necessary I might reclear the mouth again but it's usually ok. This is a one time turn around. Hope this helps??
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. Rusty Silence

Rusty Silence Senior Member

@Fantastic, that's how I would do a drive like that as well. I have one that has a retaining wall that runs the leangth of one side so I push it all to the other side. I back drag the snow that's near the doors and push it to the side though instead of turning around and backing in to push.
    My truck is a reg cab long bed and i wish I had a shorter truck.
  6. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

The reason I like to turn around and push the snow out from in front of house/garage is for the clean look after... I'm not really picky or anything I just like that the banks on each side look like I wind rowed them from one end to the other... Maybe that does make me picky :laughing:

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

That's exactly how I would do it as well
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That sucks with a long truck You need a back pull plow with down pressure

My self I use a tractor on drives This year a Skid To much easier with a skid