1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tinting?????????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by columbiaplower, Mar 23, 2003.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

What kind/brand tinting do you put on your truck? Also which windows do you put it on? Ive heard that 3M is a good brand. Any opinions?
    -Nick

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My thoughts? Tinted windows and plowing don't mix well. My brother used to peel off his tint in the fall, then tint the windows again in the spring. Visibility is a major concern when plowing, as you know, and tinted windows while plowing at night are more trouble than the "cool looking" tint is worth.

Of course that is just my opinion.

~Chuck

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

I tinted my driverside and passenger side windows. 3m is a very good product. i have had no trouble with peeling.... and it really doesnt affect my visibility. I went one shade below legal. legal is 50% tint, and i went with a 32%. 50% tint doesnt even look like the window is tinted. I didnt want to have it look like some piece of crap rice mobile either... so i went with a standard smoke tint to match my other stock tinted windows.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Rice mobile??? My 4Runner came with factory tint that is the same as the tint that comes on American cars. If you want to pick certain example please make it correct. Some people tint their windows a certain way. While many drive "Japanese" cars (most are made in America) I have also seen that tint on good old "American" iron.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

you totally missed the point i was making. i was saying i tinted using standard smoked tint as opposed to picking some chrome type tint, or tint that is so dark you cant tell whos in the vehicle. i have nothing against tinting, and tinted my two windows as well. i was just pointing out you need to do it so it looks tasteful... as opposed to picking a tint that has shapes, or stars, or the tint that is half chromed, half smoked.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Chuck I agree with you .I could not imagine trying to plow with dark windows.

7. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

My windows are tinted, and it's a PITA for plowing at night...
    Visibility got even worse once I put a cap on the bed which ALSO has tinted windows...

[​IMG]

8. Nova

Nova Member

This was the second winter I went through with my windows tinted. I believe the back is 5% and the front 35%.

It's never been a problem for me, I use the mirrors for backing up anyway and have two hallogen lights mounted on the trailer hitch just in case I need more light back there.

But I do 99% residential and the streets are always well lit, so it's not really a concern for backing up.

plow_back.jpg

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I agree totally with Chuck. You other guys all make good points too though. But I couldnt imagine plowing at night, with tint on already dirty, salted up windows that you cant see out of as it is without opening them and freezing, then having to put the heat up higher, hehe. I want as much visibility as possible when plowing cause there is always someone or something in the way when you least expect it, as we all know. Mike

10. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I have 5% tint on the front windows of my 97 with 25% on the rear, and I have 15% all the way around on my 99 and 03. Personally when I plow I have the windows rolled down, so the tint doesn't affect anything. Plus I also have two PIAA driving lights mounted on each of the sanders facing the rear, so everything is let up really well.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Actually I got your point. You were talking about "rice" mobiles having that tint. It is the group of people who drive these cars and "pimp" them with altezzas and that type of tint among other things I find personally distasteful. Not the cars themselves. While still being politically correct I will not group these people by a race. They do spread the gammat but all do not drive "rice" mobiles. That is my point.

12. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Thanks guy for the info. Have you ever done the tinting yourself?
    I may do it for spring/summer and see how it works want to keep the cabs cooler for the crews

13. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Maybe I should add that the tint my brother used is known as "limo tint". You cannot see into the vehicle at all during the day. Those of you that are talking about lighter tints, I suppose it would not be a problem. I too often plow with the windows down (most of the time) but there are always those storms when it is snowing sideways, and the windchill is below 0°, so keeping the windows down then is not an option.

Two years ago, I was contacted by an attorney that wanted me to testify as an expert witness in a trial where a plow truck backed over a senior citizen in a parking lot while plowing, and killed her. :( The main argument of the prosecution is that the pick up truck had a loaded V box on the back (so the center mirror was blocked), and the side mirrors & windows were filthy.

The fact that it was raining at the time, and vehicle speed were also contributing factors..... If that truck had tinited winows, the prosecutor would have loved to add that to his case.

And while I agree, dark tint looks good, it is bad for safety sake.

As far as the trial, I declined to testify.

~Chuck

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm with those opposed to it. The last thing I need on a snowy night of plowing is tinted windows.

I'll agree it makes a vehicle look good. I've been tinting the wife's car windows since we've been married. A pickup is one of the easiest vehicles to do, large relatively flat windows. You get in trouble with compound curves found on most car windows.

I'd check your State law again. In NY, we're limited to 35% or less on windows to either side of the driver, no limit on those rear of the driver.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Mine are tinted,but I wish they weren't in the winter.The tint fogs up more,and it is harder to see on those nights when you can't drive with the windows open.I do like it for any other time except plowing,keeps the truck cooler,and easier on the eyes.Wish they made it easier to remove,i'd pull it off every winter.

16. DanG

DanG Senior Member

My S-10 had the rear window replaced(during the summer) and they put in a tinted one at no extra cost.

First time i plowed with it i thought all the back up lights were out.:) Thats how much of a differance it was from the stock one.

Alot of the time i'll stick my head out the window to back up but thats not always possible/practical. Sometimes it's just too darn cold/snowy to do that.:D

Dan

17. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

on my reg cab i have the sides 50% and the back window 20% all legal but sucks for night plowing i would say. back up lights would help. tint is very nice in the summer and in my opinion looks good on some vehicles, but you can get like a static type tint that you can put on and take off with water... similar to thoughs radio station stickers or the American flag stickers. it works good on back windows and windows that don't roll down, it will peel off on windows that go down. you can buy it at walmart for like 12 bucks... something to look into?