1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

timming a 95 dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by plowboy22, Oct 23, 2008.

1. plowboy22

plowboy22 Junior Member
    from ohio

Bought a 1995 dodge truck 4x4 with plow i had to a lot of work to it. The problem that i am having is getting the timming right on the money i can't seem to get it just right i found # 1 plug wire put the timming on it a turned the distridutor and did it that way got it close but not exact . So i call the local dodge dealer by this time i've called the mechanic he comes up and does the same thing and ends up with the same results that i did so we are talking with the service department at the dealership and they tell us that they use the computer to do this ,so we said ok and we put his computer on there and still couldn't get it and he tells me it shouldn't be this hard to time this truck. So basically looking for anyones input on this issue really don't want to take it to the dealer because i'm sure it would cost me a arm and leg has a 5.9L or 360 gas how ever you want to say it thanks cory ..
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You don't adjust the timing by turning the distributor or by setting it with the external timing marks on these trucks. The timing is controlled by the PCM.

Once you have the distributor INDEXED (which you'll now need to do since you moved it)the PCM then controls the timing via a ground signal to the coil. The PCM uses the crank and cam position sensors to determine the timing. And the cam sensor is located in the distributor...which is why it has to first be properly indexed.