1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timing question..when is it ok????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DAVID1963, Dec 12, 2007.

1. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

Ok it snows 6 inches of snow and it ends at 1am and you go out and do all your commercials and are done by say 4am ,my question is when is it ok to go start your residentials? Is 4am too early? what do you guys do in this situation,do you go eat or go home for awhile or do you just go plow them no matter what time you are out?? dont want no shotgun shells coming through my new truck:gunsfiring: thanks guys!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I try to have people out so they can go to work
    What good is it for you to come do my driveway after I've left for work?
    I want it clear before I go out there.
    Sometimes I do the resi's (mostly apartments for me) first since the first commercials really don't come online til about 8am or so (for me)
    And then go back and do cleanup in the apartments later.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you can hit them in between your commercials. It's never to early for me .That's what their paying you for.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have never had a customer complain about me being there too early. They are just glad to get out of their driveway when they want to. Establish a route and do whatever is on the route in that order. May be a commercial and then a resi but you will be more efficient that way.

5. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

Most don't care if you are doing your job then their happy. And with that much snow they would prob. be thrilled.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No matter what time it is, if it's snowing were plowing.

24/7

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  7. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

if they want it done by 7 am then you have no choice about what time you go... ive never had a complaint about being there at 4 in the morning, and i know ive woke several people up, see them peeking out the windows..

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I sure hope you did your commercials before all 6 inches built-up!

because my commercials pay a lot more money and have shorter triggers I am always out doing them, but the resi's generally have to wait till 3" hits (they are all mostly unlimited contracts). the only reason they would have 6" is because it started to snow late afternoon and the 3" mark didn't hit till after 6pm, at which point I would wait till I started the full route at night. This way I only hit them once and save me some money without upsetting anyone.

speaking of which it started to snow 10 minutes ago, time to go salt some commercialspayup

9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I try to hold off on the commercials until as close to 7am as possible to minimize the need to plow during the work day. Also, like others have said, I plow residentials at all hours of the day (while generally trying to time them as close to morning commute). I see very little value in plowing things at 10pm unless it's either (1) a big storm & need to plow then, or (2) it's the final cleanup. I haven't aggravated people nearly as much with the truck as I used to running a snowblower all through the night (though most people laughed & just thought, "There's Kevin").

10. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I do residentials at any time.

11. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

as soon as im done with the commerical stuff its time to start the resi doesn't matter if its 2am or 8am they are gettting done. I have one resi that has to be completed by 530am so time is not an option

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

We actually never get done with our commercials that early, but when I first started, I would do the resi's whenever....the people didn't mind - as long as the snow was done, that is....I rarely ever see it done by 1 a.m.. When people call about us doing their driveways, I tell them right out that their drive will be done sometime during the next day. If they are looking for someone to be there so they can can get off to work by 7 am without having to get some snow on their tires, then we are NOT the ones to call. However, if they are willing to wait - and until usually when it's all done, then we will be there. Now, there ARE times, when it's an ongoing storm, that we are going to plow with the storm. We can atleast keep them from being totally snowed in, even if the roads are about impassable.

13. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

thanks for all the replys,first yr in the business so just looking for good advice!!! I CAN PRESS AN F-250 TRUCK REAR>>> wesport

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

All I have right now are residentials that have to be done by 7:30 in the morning. I only have 11, but it's my first year. I have 2 other guys that work with me, because all have to be shoveled as well. 8 of them have handicap ramps, and they can take a while. But to answer your question, no, that's probably not too early. Everytime it snows, we are at the first residential by 3am. And we are running blowers and plowing and all that stuff. One time, a lady even came out to ask for an estimate at 4 am! Now that's a good customer.