1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timing a 351W

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by musicars, Apr 20, 2009.

1. musicars

musicars Junior Member

My '94 F-250 with a 351 seemed a little sluggish this season so I thought, among other things, that I would check the timing. I warmed it up, I hooked the timing light to the front passenger side plug wire, and I removed the SPOUT connector as per the instructions. My timing mark was no where near the timing tab. If I turned the distributor clockwise (supposedly advancing the timing) I still couldn't see it, although the tick I thought was an exhaust leak on the drivers side went away. As I turned it back the other way the tick eventually sounded like a hole in the manifold (got real loud) on the drivers side, and still no timing mark. I put the distributor back to where it was and it runs OK but I want it right. Any one with any experience with this engine?

2. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Pull the #1 cyl spark plug (front pass side), insert long screwdriver till it contacts the top of the piston, turn the crankshaft until the piston is fully extended. Look at where the rotor is pointing- should be at cyl 1 and check the crankshaft damper to confirm it's at 10 deg BTDC.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The harmonic balancer has a tendency to let the outer part turn on the rubber it's mounted to. This makes the timing marks on that piece not even close. Rust strikes again!

4. MJD82

MJD82 Member

The timing being thrown off could also be slack in the timing chain if this is a high mileage vehicle or has spent its whole life plowing you may want to check or replace it.