1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Times you plow vs. times you salt!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by winter weather, Oct 22, 2006.

1. winter weather

winter weather Junior Member

Hello everyone:

I have a interesting question I would like to ask a few other plow and salt guys. I have a customer that is debating on splitting a contract between to contractors because of the amount of time salted. What they are saying is that if you plow one time you will only salt one time, and thats it. They for some reason don't understand that there will be days and nights that you will salt but not plow. What my question for you guys is what is your plow to salt ratio for the year? This is a highly traveled public building and parking area, people begin to arrive appr. 5:45 a.m. and last cars out at appr. 11:00p.m. Sorry to ramble on any response would be great. thanks alot scott
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If your contract is for plowing and one salting then wha'ts the issue. If they are in control and you only plow/salt on their instructions there's no liability.

I wouldn't split a contract with anyone, all or nothing.
  3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

We treat all of our props with chemicals up to two inch's of snow then the plows hit the ground.If your customer needs two contractors to cover his prop sounds like a billing problem to me, who's to say who covered the prop during the storm. I would walk away from this guy i don't think they know how it works during a storm they just see the numbers..
  4. winter weather

winter weather Junior Member

The contract is for a per push per salt basis. they think you plow 20 times a year you will only salt 20 times a year. But there are some many reasons why you may salt but not plow. Sorry for any confusion it is hard for me to explain.
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Salt to plow ratio is about 3:2 around here, but last year threw it all outa wack.
  6. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

No prob just sounds a little strange that they wont sign with one contractor. If they control who and when the prop is to be cleared they hold all the liabilty Bet they wont be up at 2am watching the storm just calling at 5:45 am and yelling why are you not here then calling the other guy to see who gets there first then you spend your time just to find out its done and your out the time and cash.
  7. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Ration her is more like 4:1, the last two years have even been higher about 6:1 more salt to plowing
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on the winter, usually 2 or 3 to 1 salt to plow.
  9. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Ratio is usually about 3 or 4 salts to one plow.

Walk away from these jokers...they will just continually be a PITA!!
  10. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Sounds about right 3 or 4 saltings to one plowing.
  11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

To, it depends on the area. Look at GR vs Lakeshore, only what 20 miles away maybe??

We plow maybe 5-6 more times than them and salt at a lower ratio, oh I wish we had those GR labor rates, I'd have two vacation homes in Bimini.............
  12. TritonSnownIce

TritonSnownIce Junior Member

3 to 4 saltings here to each plowing. At least the last couple of years.
  13. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Hmmm I am definitely doing something wrong...lol...my ration is about the same 3 or 4 to 1 but is the other way around..plow to salt...not salt to plow.... I think it is time for some up selling....payup
  14. CENLO

CENLO Member

We are about 1-1. We plow about 30 times and sand/salt mix the same. No one around here salts.....I wonder why????????????