1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mowerbrad, Jan 15, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad Junior Member

So I am planning on plowing next year for some of my lawn customers and some other houses around. It would only be residential. The driveways would be two lane driveways ranging in length from 50' to 150' but most would be about 100'. I would be using a 7'6" straight blade with 22'' wings. I need to figure out how long it will take me to plow the driveways as I have to be at school by 7:35. I would only be doing about 15 to 20 driveways of which all are in my neighborhood or surrounding neighborhoods (within a 2mi. radius of each other). If you guys could tell me how long I would be plowing approximatly that would be awesome. Thanks for the help!!

2. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

With that tight of a route, I would venture a guess of between 4-5 hours given no problems or catastrophic acts of nature (like a foot of slush, a 3 day blizzard, etc.) The "timing" of the storm is a biggie as well. Heck, if a storm doesn't start dropping snow til 6am, you won't have time until after school to plow...are customers going to be acceptable to that??

3. jrush

jrush Member
    from ct

If your plowing, wont school be cancelled or delayed?

4. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

My first thought exactly when I saw "School". Figure 5 to 10 minutes per driveway if you get out and shovel by the garage (you aren't planning on leaving that little strip along the garage that the plow can't get, are you?) and shovel the walk. Oh yeah and don't forget to bring a dirt shovel to fix the divits in the grass until you get good at plowing.

5. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Never thought of that...they close up for everything nowadays... :rolleyes:

6. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Time?

Brad--You have HIT Plowing right On--as You will read all types of stories but the Main Issue in Plowing IS!--how Long any Driveway will take YOU to Plow IT?--& theres manny other Problems--such as when You get there & Start Plowing--Some will come Out to Move their Vehicles & You will have to Wait! are You also Going to Do Walks?--More time!--On this SITE--You will Read many Prices for What ever? the Best Rule I know of?--Is Price each Customer by how Long it Takes YOU to Plow them!--as a Student in School--I*D just Break them OUT!--so they can GO to Work! & come back latter & clean them ALL UP but some? or I should SAY! most Storms drop Snow over a period of Time--some over a Day? or Two?--so YOU being a Student that becomes a Problem--to Me any WAY!--If it Start Snowing Late at Night?--& it Snows 6 inches before early AM?--Your going to have a Big problem!--unless MOM or DAD wakes You UP?-- as each Snow storm is Differant!--in Depth & how long it Lasts?--I suggest YOU play it by Ear!-- & Good LUCK to YA!--Ole Tower--

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad Junior Member

I really won't have too big of a problem if I have to get up early, I can do that already if I need to. Like you said, if there is a big storm that may last for a couple of days I can't really do much while I'm in school. I have also thought about that problem, but luckily I have a friend who owns a smaller plowing company (3 trucks) that would be able to help me out with my driveways if I need him to. If you have any other suggestions for me about anything please let me know. Thanks!!!

8. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Ole Tower makes a good point..I have a few clients that will run out and move vehicles so I can do a better job plowing...it's a pain waiting sometimes, but there's really nothing you can do but wait... :rolleyes:

9. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I am a freshman in college, and this is my first year plowing. My first class last semester was at 7:30, but I havn't had to plow during school yet, actually I've only plowed 6 times this season.

But to answer your question, I have 25 driveways, about 7 of which have sidewalks, and one small apartment parking lot. The farthest driveway is 1/2 mile from my house, they're all in my neighborhood. If i take my time, shovel the sidewalks, i can do it in 4 hours maximum, usually closer to 3 1/2 hours. That includes stopping for coffee. I move pretty slow as I am very meticulous. Hope that helps.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

My suggestion for your first year would be to sub for your friend. You can learn alot and not be under the gun to get your accounts done. Paying him to do your route makes no sense to me.

11. mowerbrad

mowerbrad Junior Member

If I had to have my friend's company plow some drives for me, we would work out something like a 75% / 25% split. That is what I do for lawn mowing (if I am out of town another company will mow my properties for a 75% / 25% split). So even if my friend does help me sometimes I would still make some money off of the deal.

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

it all depends on the timeing on the storm. if its a day storm you wont have school im guessing and you wont have to worry. if its a night to early am 2-3 am you'll prolly have a delay long enouph to take care of your accounts. shouldnt be any problem. and 20 driveways if they are as close as u say should only take a couple hours.

if i were you if its a night storm leave it untill the morning get up early make a run down each driveway. then come back and clean it up. if its snowing all day go around a couple of times and just open up the first 3-5 feet of the driveway untill the storm stops so that the front of the driveway isnt bad. then after the storm clear them. becasue you want to do everything based on time and money.

if u clear the driveway half way through the storm and it drop another 4 inches guess what your clearing that driveway again and not gettin paid for it. so just open them up then clean them after.

we can open the top of a driveway 2-6 times durring a storm and clear it once. if you do it like that you dont waste time at accounts. plus if u open it up and the bottom its makes your entry easier when u actually have to clear it.

13. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Yes I do leave that 3" strip in front of the door - I am paid to plow not shovel:gunsfiring: time is money.

14. bln

bln Senior Member

hey brad, where in Michigan are you. If youy are under teh gun just plow enough for them to get ou and return when school is out. Most people wont be home from work by the time you get done with school.

15. mowerbrad

mowerbrad Junior Member

I'm over in Grand Haven, which is right on lake Michigan. I agree with you completely that I can always plow the driveways out quickly before school and then come back and just clean it up after school. Also several of my lawn customers that had talked to me about plowing don't really care if it is done before they go to work, they just want it done sometime that day. Any other advise would be great so keep it coming!!

16. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

well even if they dont care when it is done try to make at least one pass to open it up for them b/c if they drive on it and u come back 6 hrs later after school the tiretracks are gonna be a pain especually if it gets colder. its really not a big deal but it looks a lot nicer so keep that in mind.

17. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Some guys are so lazy :sleeping: they don't like to get out of the warm truck and get snow on their feet.:cry: If you are getting paid to remove snow from a driveway, then you should remove all the snow. A number of my snow accounts were previously plowed by individuals who did not clear the part close to the house that the plow cannot reach. They pay more now with me payup, but they are happy to have the job done right. :salute:

18. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

just dont forget to turn ur phone on silent when ur at school so when ur people call and complain. which they do i dont get y people feel the need to go out in the storm half the time its so nasty i dont even wanna be out. ok my little rant. pending no real messy conditons a solid 3 hrs more for any kind of mess. and when plowing on ur own u have to worry about waking up and checkin.

19. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I'm not lazy - I don't bash people either. The first question I ask a new client is "Do you want me to shovel the walk and/or in front of the doors"? Thats right the ones that pay me to shovel I shovel. The ones that do not pay me to shovel I stay in my warm truck. I don't work for free. Why do people pay you more? because you shovel - you hit the nail right on the head in your own statement.

20. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

You're the only one I would bash. And bash away I will. What you stated --

Yes I do leave that 3" strip in front of the door - I am paid to plow not shovel time is money.

--implied to me that you don't get out to shovel, period.

In a perfect world every driveway would have a 2' overhang above or they would open the garage doors for you. I have five such perfect accounts.