1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

time??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by stillen, Aug 20, 2004.

1. stillen

stillen Senior Member

please help, i need to be reassured..... I gots a 1995 GMC 2500 LD 4x4, The truck has just over 138k on the odometer. I'm the second owner , but I've done the majority of the miles. I tow a horse trailer occasionally and i tow snow mobiles in the winter. Everything on this truck is rock solid, this truck doesn't even have the standard GM rattles yet. Tranny is crisp, no play in the ujoints or drive shaft, no knock or pinging from the 5.7 engine yet, no rust.... It's just an all around good truck. Is it time? Should I spend 38k to replace her? Because of the mileage I'm thinking of trading her in while she is still worth something maybe 6 or 7 grand. I just dont want the engine seizing up or the transfer case blowing out and being stuck with a redneck lawn ornament..... Are these things really good until 200k.... I'm very faithfull about maintenance...did I mention shes all paid for......

2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

thats a judgement call only you can make. but it does have alot of miles for a gasser, which meens befor long you will have to do major motor work. good luck whatever you decide.

3. towman

towman Member

most small blocks will go 200 thousand , i am suprised the transmission hasen't left you yet with towing stuff, that is probably the weak link on your truck, but a good rebuild usualy goes in the area of 15 hundred to 2 thousand

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

A friend of mine has an '89 (I think) Z-71 with the 4.3 V-6. last I knew it had in excess of 300,000 one owner miles. The engine has never been apart and I think the trans has been rebuilt once.

You aren't necessarily at the point of no return (trade it or drive it into the ground) but you are close. If everything else is sound even a new engine at 3-4000 + 2000 for a tranny (so say you put 6,000 in it in repairs) only adds up to one years worth of payments on the new $38,000 rig.

5. crashz

crashz Senior Member

1st - you won't get $6 for it in trade. Probably private sale only.
    2nd - That year will easily go 300K miles. Just keep an eye on your coolant level and be good with maintenance, especially for the tranny.
    3rd - Even if it starts needing work, if you can do the majority of the work yourself, you'll be better off to put the equivalent "truck payments" in the bank. Fixing older trucks is time consuming, but usually cheaper than buying new. Then when you need a new truck, you'll have cash down.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

WTF I just replied and its not here!?!

Anyways...

I know of two separate 88+ Chevy pickups with 350's in excess of 600 000 documented km's... each had a motor rebuilt (for around $1500 Cdn at the same shop) around the 400k mark and are still going strong with little else touched. Basic maintenance can go a long way, although one of the trucks was only getting an oil change about once a year! :p

7. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

To me, it's often a matter of asking yourself some questions, and the answers determine which way you go. For example...

Do you have the capability to perform repairs and/or maintenance? If so, then when things start going wrong, you don't have to spend twice as much for the repairs because it's your labor, not someone else's.

If you can do repair work yourself, do you have the time, tools, equipment and heated garage to do the work?

Is the truck needed to be reliable? That is, do you need to get to work or transport family members such that the truck has to be in service? Or, do you have other transportation options if the truck is giving you problems?

Do you consider the truck reliable and safe for transporting whatever family members may ride in it? Or, do you worry that loved ones might get stranded in bad weahter in the truck if it isn't reliable?

Do loved ones ride in the truck such that you would prefer to have a truck with more up-to-date safety features, such as dual airbags and such?

I got rid of a 1992 GMC ½-ton with 125K on it about 1½ years ago. The truck was requiring new parts everywhere, and was becoming a money pit. Further, I didn't have the time to do any work myself, so I had to pay a lot to keep it running.

The truck was, I believe, abused by the previous owner. I know he collects old Army trucks and such, and often towed these vehicles across many states. The truck was probably towing much more than it should've been towing.

Consequently, the engine was quite tired, and the tranny was slipping big time. It was all I could do to plow snow with the truck.

The floor had a lot of rusted-out spots that made you feet cold even with plenty of heat coming out of the heater.

It had no airbags.

I couldn't depend on the truck to get me or loved ones where we needed to go in bad weather. So, I bit the bullet and got a new truck.

I really didn't want to sell the truck to anyone who had to depend on it, as I knew it had problems. But, I had spent a lot of $$ on many, many new parts, so the truck was really worth a good $6000-$7,000.

I ended up selling it to a kid who was a technician-in-training at a local Chevy dealership. He thus had access to cheap parts, could do the repairs himself, and was allowed to repair his vehicles in the service shop after a certain time at night.

I had no heartburn about selling the truck to him, so I got a pretty decnt price, and the kid got a truck with a lot of potential for a good price. I think it worked out well. Plus, the kid lives at home, so he has transportation should the truck not start or whatever.

As for another story... I know my brother's old 1975 3/4-ton Chevy with a 350 & 4-speed went almost 400K without any engine rebuild. My brother sold it to a guy who had a construction firm, and the guy used the truck for towing and snowplowing and such for many, many years with little problem.

The guy was a family friend, and finally told us he had to junk the truck after an accident of some sort. He couldn't believe that the truck went so many miles, and did so much heavy hauling with so little problem.

My brother has always changes the oil in his trucks on a regular basis, and the '75's next owner did too. I think decent maintenace is key to a truck's longevity.

Good luck with your decision.

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I dont think you will get that high even if you go private. You may get that on trade but then you will be paying a high price for the new truck. Its the way car dealers work, you have wholesale and retail pricing for cars, if you buy a car at wholesale the dealer is going to give you wholesale for the trade, they may gve you "top dollar for your trade" or "more than book" but you arnt going to get a screaming deal on the truck, you will pay the same amount of money regardless its just how you are happy seeing the numbers. If you dont mind the truck and you can do some of the work might as well keep it and drive the wheels off it. It really sounds like its more of a want thing? I mean it fits the currnet need for transport and working. In the terms of expense you could dump quite a bit into a new motor and still be money ahead compared to the $ of a new vehical(although the payments would be furthur spread) Do you really want a new truck? Just beacasue its new dosnt mean it will be reliable, it just means you wont be paying for parts for the first 36k.

That said I bought an 03 2500hd becasue I wanted the truck and a year later I LOVE my truck. Bought a used 97 and was making payments on something becasue I wanted something a bit nicer than what I was driveing and really wish I woulda just drove my beaters and not paid all that $ for something I really didnt want. I mean I liked it alright and it was a good truck but it wasnt what I really wanted.