1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

time to salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RSK, Jan 31, 2007.

1. RSK

RSK Senior Member

hi guys
    got some pic of my truck with the salt and the spreader i will get some with the spreader on next time i go out payup

time to go 002.jpg
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Looks nice, thats alot of salt in that truck :D
  3. RSK

RSK Senior Member

there is a lot in that i use half that on one lot this last snow we got they had 2'' 3'' of ice in spots. there is 3 tons in there i put 2 tons in it all the time when i go out had to get the ice off can't have ice on the lot payup
  4. Vaughn Schultz

Whats your truck info
    early 90s F-350 4x4 7.3 ? Looks to take the weight well, any rear upgrades ?
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  5. RSK

RSK Senior Member

the truck is a 1992 ford f250 351w with motor work the truck is 2wd i have air lift air bags on the back with some spring work
    when i got the truck it had 170 to 200 hp now with the motor work i did to it the motor has
    325 to 340 hp.
    it has a looker in the rear end hd axle hd brakes the truck has ford f350 brakes on it same with the axles i box the frame to

i can not think of what i did not do to it . the plow for it is my own when i got the truck no co. would put a plow on it so i made the plow and the mount and light mount

the spreader is a downeastern spreader with a lot of work to it.
    the spreader had the auger that moved all the salt to the center of the spreader i made
    it so the spreader would move the salt to the left side of the truck like the under gate spreaders i made the hole on it 6x6 with a gate so i can make the hole smaller but i keep
    the gate open all the way so if it has some big clumps in it they will come out and not jam it up. i will get some pic of the spreader today for you.

if you have anymore ?? about the truck just post

go to page 3 & 6

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  6. RSK

RSK Senior Member

7. Vaughn Schultz

Thats a really nice truck wesport
  8. RSK

RSK Senior Member

one more thing

when i got the truck 7 years ago i got it for $2,500 put about $4,500 in it
    and last month i had this guy that wanted to buy it off of me for $6,500 cash for my truck
    that is like my baby i can not sell it.
    the truck when i got it had 115.563 mails on it now the truck has 213.948 mails on it know
    and i runs like it is new :drinkup: xysport
  9. RSK

RSK Senior Member

got one more hope it snow today so i can get some more pic :waving:

time to go play34343.JPG
  10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

What work have you done to the motor?
  11. RSK

RSK Senior Member

what have not been done to the motor

* 3'' rad and fan has bigger blades for more air

* fuel system upgrade

* over size pulleys billet aluminum

* hd alternator water pump starter power master

* fuel injection throttle upgrade to a bbk performance

* high flow fuel injectors

* 2 bbk cold air intakes

* high flow dyno max 3'' exhaust system

* hd oil pump

* Bosch platinum plugs

* power programmer

* performance headers

some other things to but that some

i have a supper charger to but i don't know if i went to put that on the truck it runs fine now.
    but that added power would be nice to have. wesport xysport
  12. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Boy, you ask for alot out of that truck, are you overweight alot?
  13. RSK

RSK Senior Member

i am overweight most of the time that pic there has 3 ton in the bed and the truck holds it fine. when i am out i put 2 ton in it. I do put to much in it but it beets going back to get more ever time its low on salt. i have 2 jobs that i go 40 mails one way by the time i get back to the closer ones the truck has 11/2 tons left in it. i would have to make to many trips back to get the salt at my place.wesport xysport
  14. syzer

syzer Member

What kind of spreader is that?
  15. RSK

RSK Senior Member

it was a downeastern but i did a lot of thing's to it since i got it change about everything on it. i need a name for it
    i will tell you one thing when you have ice or snow and you go out to do your lots the ice sees me coming and just starts to melt i can run 3 ton in the spreader in about 45min if it turn it up all the way. but when i go out i can do all my lots with 3 tons so i can set the speed what i need to do the job :drinkup: payup
  16. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

Hey Robert, long time no talk. You know, I saw a picture a week or so ago where your spinner was way left, and I wondered about it. Nice modifications. My Downeaster is running a lot better with the new motor and spinner. I've run about 25 tons through this winter (so far). About 2-3 tons per event. Have a good rest of the winter. Marc
  17. RSK

RSK Senior Member

hi Marc

hope everything is going good for you.
    I did a lot of mods to my spreader since i got it the spreader would run good with the stock setup but i am doing some big lots and needed to have more salt on the left side then the right side so that is what i came up with i am going to pm you
    payup :waving:
  18. RSK

RSK Senior Member

some pic of what i did to the spreader

hi guys
    i got some pic of what i did to the spreader.

spreader pic 2 012.jpg

spreader pic 2 010.jpg

spreader pic 2 008.jpg

spreader pic 2 002.jpg
  19. RSK

RSK Senior Member

some more of what i did

spreader pic 2 011.jpg

spreader pic 2 001.jpg
  20. You did all these mods. to a 2 WHEEL DRIVE truck ?

That's like training for the Boston Marathon for years then looking down and seeing...
    "Ooops, I forgot, I'm in a wheel chair"

I mean, it can be done, but I've never owned anything 2wd except a commuter car.

A 2wd truck is like a dog that won't hunt. Useless.