1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

time to replace the 810?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My old Blizzard is getting seriously worn out, and I'm starting to throw more and more money at it every year. I don't have much money to go buying a new plow, so I was just kind of wondering what my options are. Can I buy a new 810 that will work with my existing truck-side mount and controls? I haven't looked at them lately, but I believe there are probably some pretty significant differences between my 99 and the new ones. Like my lights stay on the truck, and my wings apparently have more pistons. Anyone know what it would take to put a new 810 on my old truck, and what it would save me to buy just the plow and not the truck-side? My dealer is selling 810s installed for $5195, so if I cut out the labor, the frame mount and truck-side wiring and controller, I should still be only about $3000 short, right?
    Or, should I keep plugging away at it, replacing things as they wear out or break? Seems like it's nickel and diming me, but all I ever have is nickels and dimes. As it stands, I need a few ratty old hydraulic hoses replaced, some reconstruction of the box on the rear of the plow where the angle cylinders bolt on, and some major welding/reconstruction on the bottom of the plow beneath the slide boxes.
    I've been really hard on this plow, I've been trying to drive through it for years. It's been a good, rugged plow but it's seen better days.

2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well you cannot use the new 810s on your mount. DD redesigned them so your screwed. You have a really old version, your best bet financially would be to find a good used 810 in the 06 or 07 model years. There around you just have to find them.

And now it wont be $3000 for just the plow. More like $4500. They always mark it up when you buy it separately. Give jerre a call, he can help.

3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

As long as th molboard isn't rotted out, you've got a few options. I know what I'd do, and it wouldn't be a new plow by a long shot.

Your wiring, mount, etc, will run anything up till the power hitch 2 changeover this year, with a few tweaks and mods.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If you have wornout a plow, you must be doing this for money. Its a case of it takes money to make money. Give the old plow a total rebuild or buy a new plow. If you dont have the money for these upgrades, then maybe you are not really in the snow plowing business.

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Well, the new Blizzards aren't even close to a match. Looks like first thing I'm going to do is get the bad hose fixed so my left wing will work again, and while we're in there any hose that hasn't been done recently will be replaced. Then it's going to my cousins shop and we're going to see if we can rebuild the underside of the boxes and the box that the angle cylinders bolt to. I need to heat, bend and brace that box, because the left cylinder broke it's forward bolt and climbed out through the front, bending everything in it's path. Once we get all the welding/bracing done and make it as solid as I can, I'm going to look at the motor and pump. It's had a new electric motor and a couple solenoids and valves, but it's certainly not going to hurt to go through it and see what else I can find.
    I'd like a new plow, and my mechanic almost had me talked into one, but there's probably enough left of this one to make it worth rebuilding. My subframe and everything on the truck-side is good, the cutting edges are new, centerbolt and cylinder bolts are new, most of the cylinders are new and all the hoses will be new. Just need to rebuild all the sloppiness out of it.

6. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well if you can get it back up fairly cheap, try to make it last the rest of the season. Then you have till next season to think about and research buying a new one.

I must admit though. 10 years out of a plow as sophisticated as a blizzard isnt too bad. And you might even be able to still get a good bit coin out of it on the used market too.