1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

time to repair wideout

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 1olddogtwo, Oct 8, 2009.

1. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

my cutting edge is pushed back about 2 ins or so. Western told me they wouldn't cover it, so of for repairs she goes

a 006.jpg

plow 006.jpg

plow 008.jpg

plow 017.jpg

2. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

Ouch. What did you hit? You had to feel that one.

You must have just taken those pictures today since its raining out.. hahaha

3. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

4. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Ouch, that ones gonna be expensive.

5. teamgreendude

teamgreendude Senior Member

do you own a service master branch ? that companys BIG !

6. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler Senior Member

Oh wow... I liked the Wideouts till I saw this! X2 on what caused it

7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Two year warranty huh????????????? Must have been an improper vehicle application. Did you Quick Match it? Maybe it was operator error??

Well at least you got the paper the warranty was written on. After you read this do some searches from two years back.

I may incite a riot here but he's seeing first hand and now showing you what we saw to be a problem when we saw the plows at NTEA in INDY the year they were introduced and then got a chance to study up close and personal when assembling the first Wideout that I put into service on one of my trucks to test the plow.

In all fairness when you look at the bottom of the last two years of the Blizzard plows and the new design Blizzard plows they took out not just material but WELDS and GUSSETS to give support to the bottom edge of the plow. This area is critical as it is the mounting point for the cutting edge and base of the plow. Failure here causes bent and broken cutting edges and twisted plows.

As for the wing end that again is poor design that you the consumer are willing to allow them to get away with.

As we had shown in pictures from INDY the wing edges have next to no support.

Just my observations and 9 yrs of Blizzard plow service speaking here.

But hey it's got a hand held control and the lights come off with the plow so it's all good.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Come on, Jerre! With all of your experience you know the damage on that plow is NOT the result of normal usage.

While everything you said about the plow is probably true, that cutting edge is bent because it hit something very hard.

LOL - Your sarcasm is never hard to miss :D

9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Camden, while the warp in the center is obviously from a man hole or grate or some other impact that he felt when you look at both ends of the plow you can see the the supports at the bottom ( or lack of ) don't provide enough to keep the thin metal base angle from deforming. Unlike older plows with an angle Iron or formed heavy base angle with gussets or bracing this is relying on basically 1/8" -3/16" metal supports and not many of them across the base of the plow.

Bug thug is plowing with my old WIPEOUT and it took some good hits and already was beginning to show deformation in some areas. No where near what's pictured but we've had some of the newer 810's in now that they cut down on the thickness and started a different welding and bracing procedure that are doing the same thing.

10. 1olddogtwo

hold the bus Gus!!!!!!!!!

I'm not crying, I'm rather happy how well its handle the last 2 years of Chicago winters.

i will be the 1st one to say it was abuse........ i beat the hell out of my crap and wont lie about that. i thought i would have problems with wings but i haven't and yes they could have beefed up the gusset's with more support.Well at least the paint held up ....lol

do you own a service master branch ? that companys BIG ! .....no i just a p.m.for them

Ouch, that ones gonna be expensive. .... FREE i plow for http://www.arcticsnowandice.com/ good company,good guys

Ouch. What did you hit? You had to feel that one.... we had a good ice/snow hard pack (1 1/2-2 ins) plus 4 ins on top of that last season, i think that did most of the damage, the blade was tripped most of the night

100_2371.jpg

100_2373.jpg

100_2374.jpg

100_2376.jpg

11. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i cant believe that it was straight hard pack and you scraping that caused that kind of failure, not saying your lying, i believe you, just cant believe it happened. we have an older blizzard that has seen its fair share of abuse and the only issues are bent angling pins (no mech. stops) and a cranky wing.

btw did arctic sell off their demo 252's? those were some awesome prices...

12. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Wow that does look like the welds could have been a lot better, but DANG that looks crazy

13. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Im mad to hear about the changes in the blizzard! Thanks for messing up a good thing! LOL

14. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

Buddy of mine mentioned Arctic was a good place to Sub for. A free plow is even better! Course a nice truck like that always helps :)

15. 1olddogtwo

I've worked for them about 10 years on the south side of Chicago (suburbs) can't say i ever had any problems with hours or pay.

the plow is not free but the repair is.......

i get this bug every 2 years or so to buy a new truck (99,99,01,03,05,05 on now an 08,all S/D's) and this one by far is the best.

"i cant believe that it was straight hard pack and you scraping that caused that kind of failure, not saying your lying, i believe you, just cant believe it happened. we have an older blizzard that has seen its fair share of abuse and the only issues are bent angling pins (no mech. stops) and a cranky wing"

well noting saying that was only thing, but that's when it caught my eye. i have hit a few things going to other lots that have little surprises in them. we do some where around 30 to 40 lots just in my group area plus will go to the west and north suburbs and there is no way i will know all the lots.......

noboby i know will by anything off me when i'm done with it,unless your a fool

orland retail.jpg

orland retail 2.jpg

plow 10-25 012.jpg

16. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Glad to hear that everything works out in the end. Have fun this year.

17. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Olddog:

thats an awesome picture with the big pile in front of the wideout, reminds me of a couple times when our blizzard had similar in front of it, although our dump is 2wd, we have bfg allterrains on the back end and about 2tons of gravel pushed right up against the tailgate, that combo can push some surprising amounts of snow!

glad you like your 08, I love my 09 superduty as well.

18. B.Bells

B.Bells Senior Member

I've hit things but never have I seen something like that. That got me on the wow affect. but 1 postive note its kept going til the end that's for sure!!

19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's pretty crazy.

20. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

hey u just gave the plow a better attack angle haha