1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time to pay it all back!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Nov 19, 2011.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Extreme Snowplowing must pay restitution

Updated: Friday, 18 Feb 2011, 8:43 AM EST
    Published : Thursday, 17 Feb 2011, 6:20 PM EST

* Al Vaughters
    * Posted by: Eli George

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Since angry comments came in to Call 4 Action, News 4 has been telling you about Extreme Snowplowing. Now the company will have to pay back their customers.

The owners of Extreme Snowplowing were ordered to pay back every dime they took from customers who paid for their services and got little or nothing in return but excuses, and sometimes, not even that.

Scott Romero of Rochester agreed to pay back the hundreds of western New Yorkers his firm, Extreme Snowplowing, is accused of ripping off. Romero and a partner, Richard Marrapese, signed up 400 homeowners, and Romero claims it was Marrapese's half of the customers who were left holding the bag.

Related stories:

>> The checks were cashed, but Extreme Snowplowing didn't show up

>> After multiple complaints, Attorney General went after Extreme Snowplowing

>> Another plow company helped dig out snowed in customers for free

Extreme Snowplowing attorney Mark Young said, "Because of the amount of snow, the timing it would have taken to do one driveway turned into 10 times. While a lot of the roads were impassable, they couldn't make it to certain driveways in time. They could not make it to some driveways at all."

That left hundreds of customers snowed in, such as senior citizens, or Trina Stinson's son, Anthony, who is on life support and were snowed in just when they needed help the most.

"Somebody has to be here constantly. He will have a seizure and he won't breathe, and he will need extra support because a ventilator can't even support that," said Stinson.

And in court, attorneys for Extreme Snowplowing admitted their clients might have used some of the $120,000 in customer payments to buy new trucks. Justice Kevin Dillon ordered those trucks be sold and the money returned to consumers.

Assistant Attorney General James Morrissey said, "And we want to be clear that if any assets have been sold, or transferred in anyone else's name, we will go to the ends of the Earth to bring those assets back."

Kelly Nguyen launched a Facebook group called, "Victims of Extreme Snowplowing," and signed up more than 150 members.

Nguyen said, "We had so many victims that are elderly, they are disabled, they are in a financial hardship situation."

Nguyen calls the judge's ruling a good first step after all the deception they have had to put up with.

"They never once reached out to their customers to make it right, other than some misleading promises, phone calls, and letters that were a bunch of lies," said Nguyen.

Romero was the target of similar complaints last winter in the Rochester area. Justice Kevin Dillon barred Romero and Marrapese from ever operating a snowplow business again unless they post a performance bond, which officials say after this would be nearly impossible.

Part 2

Extreme Snowplowing begins paying up

Updated: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 6:11 PM EDT
    Published : Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 6:11 PM EDT

* Luke Smith
    * Posted by: Eli George

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - When dozens of News 4 viewers Called 4 Action, they got results.

News 4 has learned Extreme Snowplowing is finally beginning to pay back some of its former customers. Call 4 Action's Al Vaughters first told viewers last winter about the complaints piling up against Extreme Snowplowing for not following through when customers needed service.

After a News 4 investigation, the state attorney general's office sued the company and its two co-owners on behalf of some 200 customers. Some of the victims are now receiving checks.

2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

This is why I don't recommend prepay seasonals to anyone. I think it is much better to bill per push. That way its fair for all parties involved. If I cant make it there, they wont be billed. but If I show up 6 times in a 12inch storm i still get paid. Just the way it should be imo

3. grandview

A lot of the blame can go on the people who hired him. When driveway here go for 300+ for the season and he was charging under 200 for the season,their cheapness took over.

When I did do drives,it was 1/3 at signing,1/3 Jan.1/3 at the end.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Grandview, I understand your point about the people hiring someone cheap, but I disagree in this case. If these guys are offering this service for a certain price they must deliver the services, no matter what. Also, the elderly and disabled are easy targets, half the time they have no idea what they are signing up for.

5. grandview

In the other stories they never intended to do snowplowing ,just collect checks.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That I believe 100%.

7. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Greed on Extreme Snowplowing and their customers.

When something is to good to be true it usually is not.

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

.......and buy new trucks with the payup.

9. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Can they not just say oh sorry we don't have the money to pay back file for chapter 11 and then start up a new co and start all over again?

There was a co here 2 years ago sent out flyers cheap prices sent it out to a bunch of towns they had a the same idea. no where to be found when it snowed. People tried to get me to match there prices. lol suckers.

10. grandview

Can't file bankruptcy for committing fraud

11. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

But so many others do and get away with it. Bigger companies then them too. I know not the point. I fell bad for the elderly but not the others that are cheap.

12. grandview

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Wow..........They have really created themselves a heck of a mess.

The statement that was made in behave of the company was a first class bull$**** line.
    Claiming they couldn't make service calls due to the public roads not being plowed. Not knowing how much snow there was it's hard to dispute this but really are the roads plowed before we head out? Hell no and if there was to much a quick call to the customer saying "due to the impassable roads we are running behind"

I really like this:
    Extreme Snowplowing also defrauded customers by misrepresenting itself in advertisements. Local newspaper advertisements for the company claimed they were fully insured, had 24-hour radio dispatch response and 15 trucks available. The Attorney General's investigation found that all of the claims were false and further revealed that they only had six trucks, used pre-paid cell phones making them difficult to contact, and were not insured for the work they actually preformed.

The bottom line is they're crooks and they got busted, now they need to face the music.
    Unfortunately for the honest contractors in the area they're going to have to deal with a heighten level of speculation from customers.

I personally don't have any seasonal snow contracts, everything is done per push. However I do have seasonal contracts for lawn-care and bill I bill them monthly.

14. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Thats why i don't trust people from NY. They are all shady.

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Oh boy you just start up a ***** storm:eek::eek:

16. grandview

Shady people from NY buy summer homes in Ct. and hire guys in blue Dodges to cut their grass!

17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Grandview: Are you the brains behind this operation. I saw a 2012 Ford F450 Dually in your driveway?

18. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

So are these guys still in business? This is the kind of things that give the whole snowplowing community a bad name. Glad they have to pay up, Hopefully this will be a good lesson for everyone that reads about what happened

19. grandview

We all know the answer to that question.

20. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

It never ceases to amaze me how someone can work so hard defrauding people. If they would just take that same energy and do the actual work.