1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time to paint the plow!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Ripple, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Ripple

Ripple Member

Just started scraping, grinding and sanding all three plows. I am prepping for paint!
    I try to paint every year!

I hate to see the rust...>>>

Any one else start painting yet?

Fisher spray cans from ashsupply in New Hampshire around 12 bucks!

2. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

Go with the 1qt roll on paint will turn out much thicker than the spray cans
    Fisher or Meyer paint The meyer paint seems to hold up better

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

The one quart is much better. We did that to my plow last year and it lasted all winter with only two small scratches and I plow gravel driveways as well. One quart was about $28 and it allowed for 2 full coats and a third touchup/skim coat. It came out better than factory. The decal stcuk to it much better as well. Here it is right after we painted it:

1.JPG

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Here it is the day I traded it in. It was a light winter, but keep in mind I plow over one mile of gravel. It held up great.

2.JPG

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We Paint them over the summer, when the rain shuts down our jobs, Working on the last one now. Did alot of scraping down on this one. If I remeber I have photos of it while primer and I'll take some when done.

6. jbone

jbone Senior Member

I would definitely go with roll on. Compared to the pictures on here my plow that I just did the other day in rustoleum "safety red" looks great from far away but crappy up close. and thats after sanding, grinding, priming, and then 2 coats of paint. Not to mention my index fingers and thumbs got the work out of a life time!!!

7. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

To cure your thumb problem, Murrays has a pistle grip triiger thing for spray cans. Works awsome. Just like shooting a gun.

8. jbone

jbone Senior Member

yeah my friends father told me that when I was done:rolleyes: go figure

9. Ripple

Ripple Member

Looks good....I did order some fisher yellow in the quart cans...

10. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I'm just about done with my back-up, sent it out and had it sand blasted. I waiting for trip edge pins to arrive, I have a couple of small welds to repair once the trip edge is off amd repair the spring bars, then it's off to the body shop. They're spraying two coats of self etch anti-corrosive primer then three coats of Nason 2k urethane ( generic Imron).

When it comes back I have to re-assemble the MM , A frame,all new Insta- Act pump , new cylinders, hoses and headlamps.