1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time to move on

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by tattooedplower, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tattooedplower

tattooedplower Member

I just can't deal with this Curtis plow anymore. This thing is the biggest pain in the ass to work on out of all plows I've ever owned. I have never seen such a rigged up wiring system from the factory as on this Curtis. As soon as the season is over the plow setup will be for sale. It is currently on a 1997 Chevy K3500 and will include all wiring, mount and plow. It is a sno pro 3000 with pro wings. Price will be posted at the time it is for sale. I'm going back to western, were there are rarely problems and when they do arise it doesn't take a whole day to figure it out and another half day to repair after the 2 weeks of waiting for parts because no one has parts for this p.o.s.

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I sold mine the parts were expensive and it was hard to the motor and the other crap out no dealers around close so i bought western dealers close by

3. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

Mine is going up for sale after i paint her as well. trust me it will not be a difficult goodbye....I might as well give it away for free. POS

4. tattooedplower

tattooedplower Member

I agree, I now see why the only dealer within 100 miles quit selling them. I know with a western I can walk into any farm and fleet or similar store and buy basic repair parts if needed asap. With this curtis I can't even find people with parts online!!

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Welcome back to Western!:waving:

6. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I had to laugh as some nimrod up here just bought a Curtis for his Dodge 3/4 ton in Dec. He knows I have a V on our truck so at that time he had only plowed a couple of smaller storms with it . He told me that it was the nicest plow he had ever used [this was his first plow] and he couldnt believe more people didnt have them up here????? Anyway it is now for sale as it only made it about a month of him slamin it into the banks and he had lift motor blues and had to buy one as he had bought the plow used for $2500 and thought it was a steal ....................... he now has a very very different opinion of them and someone said he is down to 2 now and that they felt that 1500 would buy it!!!!! OMG . If he is willing to loose a grand AFTER he had to buy a new motor I am guessing he is more than just sorta pissed off ?????

7. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

mine is the nicest plow ive ever had,and ive used them all except meyer. fisher was good too,i had a 8 foot western on my 92 deisel,it had 4 springs,plus the shock,it would still fold over.this curtis has to really hit something to fold over.what do you people do to your plows/trucks to have trouble like u do?

8. Bison

Bison Member

I was thinking the same thing

9. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

No issues with mine, some people must really beat the crap out of them.... anything will break like that.

10. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

no, they use them....
    my buddy has a whole fleet of plow trucks, all with fishers.
    he said last year they bought a new Meyers and folded it up. he said the only plow that can handle the abuse is fisher.
    they have been in business for over 30 years.
    seems like with that much experience they know what will hold up the best.

it's a plow not a barbie doll

seriously?
    have u read the posts about the repairs i have done on my plow?????
    i have replaced everything!!!!
    i replaced the head gear, lower A-frame.... all the bolt holes where rounded out, replaced the bolts,
    all the hydraulic hoses, the head lights, 1 lift ram, 1 angle ram, jack ram,hydraulic manifold,wiring harness the big latch hooks that keep the plow on.
    also my blade is rusting out, i take my truck to the car wash after every storm, i change the fluids once a year and i paint it!

my truck is a 02 chevy 2500hd, 142,xxx with the original transmission!
    my truck has zero rust on it! still the original bumper, with nice chrome, i go under my truck every year in the summer on nice hot dry to wire brush and paint the frame.
    parts are difficult to get, poor quality, and difficult to work on.

i have every right to complain about this crappy plow!!! i'm far from impressed!

curtis owes me a fisher!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

The problem many people have is thinking that commercial use (2 dozen driveways or more and some commercial lots) constitutes abuse. Anything will last forever doing a handful of driveways.

Is Curtis the new Meyer? :laughing:

12. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i barely do 20 drive ways.......i just take care of 2 associations. my father's 4 rental properties and some 3 family members. that keeps me busy for a good full day of work.
    that's all i need. i know allot of people doing 40-50 drive ways with fisher plow.

if i was abusing my plow then how come i have over 142,xxxx miles on the original transmission? how come my plow is is rusting out and my truck is not? the plow goes across the road less then my truck.

13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

No, that's not what I'm saying.... the number of driveways or accounts does not constitute abuse, but too many people seem to think that. I plow 35 driveways and 2 medium commercial lots, and many say such a load is "abuse." That's where I disagree, and I think I'm saying what you're saying. People try to say that things break from the "abuse" of using it for the number of driveways we all do, as though that has to be the cause. Hell my grandfather used his conventional Fisher for 20 years with very little wear or breakdown, and by the same logic of many it was abused.

14. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I like my Curtis, but lack of dealers is a problem here too.

15. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

sorry, my mistake.
    my buddy where i work on my plow he had a 80's chevy with a old fisher speed cast.
    he never works on his plow, just to paint it.

how come a curtis representative doesn't chime in here to defend their company?

16. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

It is interesting that when someone owns something that is sorta oddball they may still be very fond of it. I remember back in the late 60's I think it was Bolens came out with a snosled that was called an "Eskimo" I think...................... it was a johnny come lately design but very different in that you sat on a deal that looked like an "ironing board" with a single ski under it and then hung onto a set of handle bars on the main part of the machine that was in front of you . It hinged there and articulated right where your knees would be. So it was sorta like being drug by a snowmobile on an ironing board with a ski under it ????? Can you imagine what an abortion this would be ? Well a fella here in town bought TWO of them . They wouldn't go in even a foot of snow and he spent more time shoveling them out then he ever did riding them............ he had them for years and they quit making them as they were junk but to the day he died he was still claiming they were the best sled that was ever made................
    Most of the time you hear people speaking of plows and how much they like a certain type or model and listen to where they are plowing and with what it quickly can become easy to establish their experience level and guess how many different plows they have probably plowed with ???? It never ceases to amaze me how long people will fool around with a plow that is giving them ALOT of problems................ if you dare to read the threads over on the MYERS posts it is absolutely amazing that 90% of the posts are about the motors failing or doing crazy things and they screw with them for years.................... they have Gurus on there that will defend them to the end of the earth ???????????? Why would you want to ?????
    To each his own............... thats what makes this old world so interesting I guess. An Eskimo snowsled and a Curtis plow................ what do they have in common ? The guys that own them LOVE EM!!! I say leave em alone!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:laughing::laughing::laughing: You know Dean doesn't make them in his garage anymore.

18. rancherman84

i have owned a 8 foot fisher speedcast on my 84 f250,good plow. ive owned a 8 foot western proplow on my 92 f250 diesel,hated it. when i bought my 02 f150 i didnt need or want a 8 foot plow,and i have a curtis dealer 10 mins from my house,nice guy,so i went with curtis,i like the way it goes on/off and the set up it self. i am very happy with it. it is now on my 07 tundra,great plow and pickup combo i think.
    sounds like some of u fisher guys are like john deere tractor owners,yes they are good,but there not the best.

19. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

Fisher Engineering Discussion (27 Viewing)
    Discuss Fisher Plows here with other members of the site. If you want to contact Fisher directly, go to www.fisherplows.com truck side wiring question
    by TheGoat Today 10:24 AM 3,137 threads 25,250 posts

Curtis (7 Viewing)
    Ask your questions about Curtis here! www.curtiscabs.com Time to move on
    by rancherman84 Today 10:12 AM 288 threads 2,049 posts

you got me! your so right :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  20. rancherman84

whatever. there is not one manufactuar out there that builds the best of anything. it all depends on dealer support and service/parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.