1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

time to make the donuts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jpunlimited, Nov 9, 2004.

1. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

as the first flakes fall in massachusetts my heart rate quickens.
    I convinced my wife to let me buy a plow for my jeep. my job allowed me to grab 2 small commercial accounts. I never found my self looking forward to snow as I am right now. If it snows I can recupe the $2000 I spent on the plow in one year making it look like I made the right decision. but if the winter is a bust I will never hear the end of it....can you feel my pain?

2. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

Yes I can feel your pain up in Canada just north of Montana border we have no snow as of yet. I just picked up another contract and had to buy a truck and plow. My wife is a little worried. PLEASE LET IT SNOW good luck to ya eh.

3. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

Oh yea! I went and did the same thing but at $4300 bucks! She won't rag about it but I will feel like s*&# if I can't make our money back.

I am more excited then I have been in a long time about the snow! I feel like a kid again...

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Seams like I buy a new piece of equipment every year sense 1980. Plow, dump truck, 975 Bobcat, trailer, Plow, bobcat acceseries, plow, sander, etc. you get the picture. well this year I spent close to 100,000 on a street sweeper and was woundering if it would pay for itself. same story with the wife as you. guess what ? every year has paid off. this year included. Sweeper make over 60K sofar so I just bought an old 6 wheel drive Austin-Western super300 grader and another 975 bobcat. Like most of you I sure hope it snows or I also will never hear the end of it.

Dwan

5. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Jeez Dwan, are you THE equipment company on Juneau?? I can't imagine there being any room for another company there.. Sounds like you have all the toys..

We've had 3 small events here in the big city so far.. Still need a lot more to pay the bills though.. Thank god I have a full time job.. haha..

Paul

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

better look into the insurance aspect if you havent already. Insurance for the slip and fall type of accidents and also if you whack sombody wile driving between lots. If you blast sombody while driving around while you are getting paid your insurance will cover you but I can almost garantee they will drop you after they pay. It gets very $$$ if you get canceled. Tell your insurance man you are going to landscaping and such(dont just get something for plowing or it will be $$$$) and tell him you may do some plowing so right that in there too.

Remember even if not even a flake falls you now have a 2k tax deduction for this year or depreiciated out and you may be able to write off part of your truck ;)

7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Don't worry it will snow. Like ratlover said, at least you will have a tax deduction if it dosen't. :waving:

8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I'm in the same boat as you and rhinohd, I laid out 4 grand. But, where are these "first flakes" you mentioned :eek: I'm in Middleboro and I didn't see any :confused:
    The anticipation is great though and it is kind of like being a kid again. I am looking forward to it. All indications point to us getting a good old fashioned brutal New England winter around here this year, I just hope it comes to pass. If not, I like the rest of you, will never hear the end of it from the wife.
    That would be a bad thing.

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Could you all imagine what it would be like if all our wives got together. We would all be driving to Anchorage today to find work.

Dwan

as for the equipment, I need the deduction. and something to do durning my spare time.

10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Outer cape got some ocean effect snow this morning, the bands tend to back in after a cold front. Out in the hills say west of lemonster they got some overnight as well. It has been sunny all day in Randolph though it smells like it is going to snow, temps holding steady in the upper 30's. Lower 20's to upper teens tonight.

11. limargie25

limargie25 Guest

JP where on Cape Cod are you? I'm in West Yarmouth and I didn't see a single flake, but I'm sure ready and waiting for it. Good to see another Cape Codder on the site :drinkup:

12. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Cape codders,

I have a brother in Hyannis. I lived up there between 1986-89 and I remember two storms that came in two weeks apart. I believe it was 1988. Now that was some serious snow up there. Hope you guys have a great season.

13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I was told that we had flakes in Randolph at around 10:30 last night, i must have really not been paying attention to miss that. I was probley on this site at the time of the squall.

14. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I don't think it was ocean effect, unless it went inland far. Because we got a dusting here.

15. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Current time in NJ 12:54am
    Current temp 28 degrees.

I need some freakin snow.....after Friday when I finish my plow installation!!! :D

16. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Hey Paul,,,,Careful how you say "3 small" events.....Those folks down south may not consider 20+" of snow small events :waving: For us, it's just the normal start of winter. Of course the farmers Almanac is predicting that we could get a record snow year (90+"). :bluebounc :redbounce purplebou

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004