1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time to look for a new auto mechanic...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PlowOrDie, Dec 7, 2007.

1. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

So I just picked up my truck today from the shop...

had my transfercase shifter linkage lubed, new vacuum line to front axle assembly, and a rear u-joint replaced.

i originally took the truck in so he can figure out what was up with the 4 x 4.

so i pay the guy, get my keys, start up the truck, and I notice the ABS and BRAKE lights are on. They WERE NOT on when i took the truck in.

So i immediately walk back into the shop and tell the mechanic about it and he said "well that light was on when you dropped the truck off." I say "well im 100% sure that it was not on." he then rambles on about how the sensor could have some rust on it and that it is not a big deal if the ABS light is on and that he knows alot of guys who use ABS when they plow? I am not a mechanic, so I just agreed and walked out.

As i drove home, I couldnt help but to think: "if the ABS light was on prior to me going to the shop for the 4x4 repair, wouldnt I have mentioned something about the ABS light and for him to check that out as well???"

just boggles my mind. I dont know what to do about this situation. All replies would be greatly appreciated.

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

sounds like another bs story of a mehanic trying to do the least amount of work. i would take it back and find out why there are on. on second thought you might want to bring it somewhere else but itll cost money. oh well you learn who to bring your business to and he ovbsly didnt want it.

3. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

You didn't say how old the truck is.

Have the mechanic clear the code and take it from square one again. That's what I usually do

4. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

im thinking about unhooking the battery for 10 mins then clearing it that way and seeing if it pops on again.

in fact I am going to do that right now.

I will be back with a report.

it is a 97 Ram 2500

5. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I have heard that the rear wheel speed sensor goes bad on these trucks causing the light to come on and it is centrally located on the rear axle...Possibly coincides with the rear u-joint replacement.....

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You need a scan to clear the code. All your going to clear is your radio station presets. My advice (this is from a auto shop owner) is to go back and ask him to scan and find out what tripped the light. What might have happened is they might have run the truck in 4X4 on the lift to test the operation of it. If they did that it could have set a code cause I doubt you have lockers and as we all know 4X4 doesnt meen all four tires turn all the time equally. So it could have set the code. From what you described the repairs they made prob was not out of line....Rob

7. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

anyways.. i unhooked the battery and the light went off. It will probably come back on soon. hopfully not though.

anyways, another CRAZY thing I just noticed while i was outside messing with the battery... my steering wheel adjustment lever is missing...GONE..my steering wheel is going to be fixed in the same bad spot it is in now for a while i guess.....

first my 4x4 goes out during a storm, while i have some contracts, then i have to pay to fix it, and now I am noticing all this shit wrong with my truck after getting it back from this mechanic.

this cannot be happening to me....

is there any way i can take legal action against this guy? anyone know about that? he is part of the BBB and all that bs, but what do you guys think? should

above all though, i must admit that I DO need to get some tools and books and start fixing my own shit

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Shameless plug here: My shop is out in Perry, I dont know where your located at but Id be gald to look at it for you......Rob

9. db27

db27 Member

get the service manuals(haynes is ok but the factory service manuals are best) and forget about having to depend on others.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

All else fails the Library has repair manuals too. If it's a Ford a bolt will screw into the hole the lever was in. Look under the seat maybe you get lucky and it's there.

11. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the replies guys...

i ended up runnin up to the junk yard and picked up a lever.. 3 bucks..

everything is working great now...

the 4x4 is fixed, works GREAT... and the ujoint on the axle I can really tell the difference in performance...

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Junk yards are great!
    I needed frame mounted fuel pump holder that Ford no longer had available.
    I went and took it off and the charged me $5 dollars for it with the high pressure pump in it.
    Now I had an extra $85 pump if the new one I installed went bad.
    I needed a wiper control module, found it in the same junk yard $5. Cut the wires and soldered it to my wires, saved $85 for the same part. If you have an older truck it can be well worth your time to get the part out of a junk yard! Recycle,reclaim,re-use - save the Earth for our Grand Kids !