1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time to get ready for the 2009-10 season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jun 22, 2009.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well summer is almost over. It's starting to get darker now and the next thing you know the snow will be flying. Except in NJ ,they can't get their seasons right!

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm spending my whole day today measuring parking lots for new accounts. prsport

3. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Its nly dark grandview cause you're posting at 5:30 in the morning LOL. And you're right about NJ!

4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Been out with the measuring wheel a few times this week, and putting the deposit on the 8'2 VXT next week. Some other stuff to get the truck ready, too, then mid-october it will get its pre-game massage. (Full inspect in and out by the shop.) LOL

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

This thread is worthless without your countdown clock. ;)

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There you go!

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My wife and I were talking about this last night. Time is ticking away. Going to get some mafia blocks right away so I can get my sand mixed up and under cover. I still have about 70 yards of beautiful sharp (septic) sand left from last year, so that's at least one thing I don't have to buy. Of course I need a new cutting edge for the XV, and I am going to get the backdrag blade this time, and wings, and spare hoses, and spare O-rings, and spare center pin, and new fluid, and, and, and payup.......

Dealer will probably make more on me with parts then he did selling the plow.

8. plowin4u

plowin4u Member

Ha-ha why is everybody alway's picking on the joisey gang?:mad: i'm still waiting to get paid! prsport dam jersey contractors! it's still summer out! and you have the nerve to talk about us?:confused:lmao!

9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Thank you sir :salute:

It's all good now prsport

10. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

yeah i got to start measuring and bidding also gonna paint my skid steer plows:redbouncepurplebou:yow!: :salute: by the way like the countdown clock

11. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Hey Grandview im using your countdown clock for my next day off!!!!!!!!!! lol. I am subing out my S.Buffalo route because its to fukin far. Any tips on subbing out work?

12. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

All Excited

Doing the wiring to the Fisher 7.6 to the Dodge today, Thank you BigDave for the wiring!!
    xysport

13. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I was just thinking today about needing to rebuild the pump on my plow and get a new cutting edge.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

6/22 is considered summer almost over? :dizzy: It's 8/6 now, so now you can say summer is almost over. LOL. I installed my mount on the 98 today.

15. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Yup getting there but I still have 2.5 months yet before the summer trailer gets all locked up. Right now we are tearing down Colins plow (Oakwoodman) and then when that is done I am going to be lightly tearing into one of my plows to get it up to par. I have a a bucket ful of things I need to do on the trucks yet. Im far from ready but in no hurry........YET

16. bellcityplow

bellcityplow Junior Member

Saw your reply about going out and measuring parking lots. You obviously use some type of formula after you measure to bid the job. Could you fill me in on what formula you use for snow removal, salting, and sidewalks. I've asked this question before and really haven't got a straight answer. I have contracts from two accounts from my general contractor from last season and I would like to compare the pricing to yours if possible. Thanks

17. bellcityplow

Your reply stated you've been out measuring too...do you use a specific formula after you measure to bid the job???? How much to plow, how much to salt, how much for sidewalks??? I'm asking because I'm a sub contractor and my general gave me two accounts last season and they had already set the price. When I measured them out this season to find out how they came up with their numbers they were both completely different...one was fat and one was VERY lean. I'm getting more accounts from them this season and now they want me to bid them. They like the 1-3 inches, 4-6 inches, and 6+ inches pricing, the price per salt application, price per trip for sidewalks, price per trip for sidewalk salt application. I don't even know what to charge per sq. ft. for salt. These are all commercial high traffic accounts ranging from 30,000-189,000 sq ft. This has become very overwhelming. Please help!!! :confused:

18. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, I have a formula I use for snow removal, salting, and sidewalks, all on an Excel spread sheet, which contains the $ per hour i want to make, our average production based on the type of site, truck that would most likely be used, amount of salt we use on average for a property of the season, what price per pound we are going to apply the salt for, type of equipment that would be the most efficient for the sidewalks. All this data has been compiled over past years, paying attention to snowfall amount, whether the driver was a moron, etc. I have no idea what your overhead is, what you pay for salt, or what your sidewalk people make per hour. You're going to be hard pressed to come on here and "get a straight answer" giving you magic numbers to use in your bids. I'm in your market, and i'm certainly not going to tell you what we charge per hour, #, or laborer. Put in the work, get out your calculator, MAKE SOME MONEY!

19. bellcityplow

well thanks anyway did'nt think i would get a strait answer, but i was worth a try. i'm sure its taken you years to get the numbers you came up with, i'm not looking to take any business from anyone i'v just always work T&M and my general i'm working with now likes per. push numbers. i'v got some number i'v come up with from other properties i got given to me pre-bid just wanted to know how close i am. i did very well last year and would like to continue to grow and up date some of my equipment.Looked at some of your pictures, some real nice trucks you have, I just happen to notice your 3500 flat bed over at gene's, i was getting a new super duty boss installed by him when he was installing your salter.I'm sure i'll talk to you again, take it easy.

20. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I've only just started thinking about what I need to do to get the fleet up and running.

Have to get 10 units from storage. Go over them with a fine-toothed comb, paint plows, clean and detail the trucks so at least they start out nice. Have a few nightmare jobs like rebuilding the frame horns on a 2500 dodge, swapping a utility body for a flatbed, figure out why a GMC keeps over-heating, etc.

I plan to be on the trucks up to my elbows starting Sept. 1. 20 trucks plus skids, loaders, etc. need to be up to par. Unfortunately 4 of them are in use all summer and through the fall. We try to pull one of those at a time for preperation. Mount the plow, check all the hardware and wiring, then double-check it. Pull the plows, paint them and hope they work later (Evil gremlins always show up on the first storm).

Looking forward to it though. I LOVE SNOW!