1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time to buy a tailgate sander, need advice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DieselDan172, Mar 22, 2009.

1. DieselDan172

DieselDan172 Member
    from Mass.

I started to do a little bit of plowing this year & i'm jumping in with both feet for next year so I need a sander. I only want to start with a small light weight hitch type sander so I can take it off easily because I tow something weekly.
    Any advice on which make/model?

2. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Been very happy with my Snowex mini pro 575. There around $1200 installed.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you looking to spread sand or salt. The sand spreaders are heavy. There are some good ones. Western and Fisher Pro flo 2 and the Airflo Mini. Both have hitch mount but are a little heavy.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This Fisher is really nice, I almost bought one.
    It will spread sand, and to my knowledge its on of the few tailgate spreaders that will. It is actually like a very short Polycaster turned sideways. It has a conveyor belt and spinner. I have a friend with one. Works well but its a bear to get on the truck. It's over 200 pounds. Plus, you have to load it by hand, it's so small. He gets about a yard dumped in his bed, then shovels it in to the spreader.

The reason I did not buy it was because the Polycaster was less than a grand more. Much less. I am so glad I went "fullsize". I ended getting a bunch of commercial stuff, and really needed the volume. Plus the weight is nice for plowing. Rarely need 4 wheel drive. Plus, it can be filled with a loader. Much better than shoveling, especially if it's raining or blowing 30.

As far as towing goes, you could do two things. Two guys can get the Polycaster out pretty easy. What I did my first year was set up some boat trailer winches on four trees. Back in between and hoist it out. Or, leave it in. The spinner assembly pops right off. A short extension on your Reese hitch and you are in business, as long as your not towing something huge.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I run a Western 1000. It was cheap to buy used and works great.
    Use dry material in whatever you get and a vibrator is a nice addition too.
  6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Whatever you buy, stay away from the Western 2500. It is not worth it even if they give to you for free. IMO.
  7. DieselDan172

DieselDan172 Member
    from Mass.

Do you guys run sand thru your Western 1000's? I thought they only recomonded salt for those types of spreaders.
  8. tc21

tc21 Member

I have A Meyer Mate. For the money it has performed well for 4 seasons. I now use it as a back up or for isolated driveways. If I was going to get another tailgate sander I would highly concider the Airflo Mini. It looks like it would perform great. Your probably going to need someone to help you take it off. They are heavy for one person.
  9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I had a western 1000 for 1 season before it got too small.
    It was my first spreader and also the best one i've used.
    It had a nice spread pattern. I just picked up to many salt jobs.
    5000 bags my first season. yuch, all bulk now.
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have ran sand and also a sand/salt mix through mine.
    As long as it is dr the sand goes through with NO problems. I used tube sand bags.