1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time to bite the bullet

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by whitehouse, Feb 15, 2010.

1. whitehouse

whitehouse Junior Member
    from NC

Never thought I'd actually buy a plow, I cut grass, spread fert, and spray for a living. Charlotte NC is not exactly a snow management professionals dream location. Any snow we get is usually gone in 24 hrs.

I've had a complex of medical centers as clients for the last 6 years and never had a need to plow, although I am responsible for plowing if an event comes. Since I have not been able to find a sub to help me out, my plan was to just rent a skid steer when needed. Well I got caught with my pants down last week and could'nt find a skid steer or a sub when I needed it. Luckily the snow melted quickly the next day and I was able to smooth it over with my clients (luckily their turf looks great).

Now Ive decided to go ahead and purchase a plow for my 09 F150. I have quotes for Fisher, Boss, Meyer, and Western ranging from $5200-$5800 installed. I also have a quote for a Snowdogg for $3700.

The parking lots I'm responsible for total around 55000 sq ft. Any reason not to save 2 grand and go with the snowdogg? I'm not planning on doing any residential or adding snow customers. I just want to be able to take care of my medical clients.

Thanks for your input, this forum has been invaluable for a clueless lawn guy like me. :salute::salute:

By the way, if there are any members from Charlotte that can sub for me PLEASE contact me. So far I havent seen any posters from this area (not surprised).

2. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

For as little as you will use it go with the chespest you can get.

3. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I'm over in Raleigh and might be able to help you out if you guys get any and we don't. We're usually in the same line of storms but if you guys happen to get more than we do, just get in touch with me and I'll se if I can get over to fill in for you.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I actually agree with that. ESI trucks is a sponsor here, they are in VA. They have posted some great Boss pricing in the past.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go cheap. Or next time it snows post a sign that says your washing the parking lot and do not enter for 48 hours!

6. whitehouse

whitehouse Junior Member
    from NC

thanks

Thanks for the offer, I would love to sub snow out to someone like you. I wish you were in Charlotte. Unfortunately I cant risk this account. I either need to plow myself or have a rock solid sub in place. I stopped about 6 guys with plows last week, none of them wanted to take on extra work.

I have no problem going cheap in this case, I think I'll try the snowdogg. I'm sure its decent since they are a sponsor on the site. It very well may end up being a nice shiny $3700 decoration in my shop for the next 5 years. :eek:

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Cool. Some NC guys!! I took a year and a half to put my Minute Mount together for a little over a grand.

8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I think you will be fine with the snow dogg I like mine:D

9. whitehouse

whitehouse Junior Member
    from NC

Just bought this!

Went ahead and bought this setup for $3300. 85 F250 4x4 with a dump bed. Fisher plow with steel blade. The pump is under the hood on the engine. Everything runs great and I'll be able to use the dump during the rest of the year. The plow is bigger and heavier than I expected to get but I think it will work fine for what I need. It has been well maintained but I'm sure I'll need to put $ into it. Now I'm just hoping for a good snow storm.
    3n53o53p25O95T15R0a2h2c3a7bf710141b15.jpg

3n73kc3o25T75S05R6a2h2ee3622da6171610.jpg

3n53o53p25O95T15R0a2h2c3a7bf710141b15.jpg

3n73kc3o25T75S05R6a2h2ee3622da6171610.jpg

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Probably a better way to spend you money considering how little snow you receive. It is of course much more expensive to maintain and insure, but you can use it for mulch more.