1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time Management

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by havenprosnow, Nov 4, 2010.

1. havenprosnow

havenprosnow Member

Thanks for all the input for us "newbies." I am new to the industry in SE Pa. I am trying to help a contractor get bids on commercial sites. When I am at the site I am trying to figure how long it will take to clear a lot with 2-4 trucks. For example, I am looking at a site that square footage says that it is just over an acre (46,750 square feet to be exact). They are also looking for sidewalks to be cleared (843 feet of 3 foot wide sidewalks). Most plows we have range from 7'6" to 8'2". Parking lot has 4 small islands to maneuver around. The range of runs vary from 90 feet to 200 feet. Can anyone help a "brother" out and give me a time estimate that it would take to clear this lot with a 4" dry snow fall?
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

1 hour to an hour and 15 minutes depending on your experience.
  3. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

with four trucks? I would say that would be 50 mins or so with two trucks with the small 7.5' blades. But probably and hour and 15 or so with one truck with the 8'2" blade. With a 9 foot blade last year i was able to clear and acre is around an hour with around 5-6 inches of snow
  4. havenprosnow

havenprosnow Member

Thank you for the help. I assume experience and a tried formula of some sort brought you to that number. Did you base it on an average of 3 trucks?
  5. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Im not too sure you would want three trucks in an area like that.. It would not be that efficient to be honest. Trucks getting in one anothers way and then people not working together as efficiently as possible, it becomes a hassle. I would say you should use two trucks tops.
    The more trucks you add does not exactly cut the time in half..

Say if you have one truck it will take that truck 100% of the time to plow it.
    Add one more truck it might not cut it in half by 50%, jsut because of the things i mentioned before. Maybe cut the time by say 45%. so say if it takes one truck an hour, if you add the section truck the efficiency for a lot that small will not make it take each truck 30 mins. Probably aorund 35 minutes. If you add the third truck it will not make that 35 minutes too much smaller, maybe cut it down to 20 minutes.
    What i am trying to get at is if you have just one or two trucks do this lot then the other trucks can be out somewhere else being as efficient as possible.

Same with lawn mowing, it is not efficient to send 5 people out to do lawn mowing. It is not going to be 5 times faster to mow the places, but yet you will be paying 5 times more for wages.
  6. havenprosnow

havenprosnow Member

All this info is great stuff. I appreciate the time in responding. Hope all my questions are responded to as professional as this one.
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry I didn't read deep enough. 1 truck should plow an acre per hour on average. The bigger the blade, or something like a V plow or a Wide out, will cut that time by about 10 minutes per acre. Then experience can cut it by about another 10 minutes or so. So what I am saying with the right equipment, and the right experience you could possibly plow a 1 acre lot with no obstructions in 40 to 45 minutes.
  8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i can plow an acre in about 30 to 35 minutes with open runs. you only need one truck on that lot.
  9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

But he said that there are obstructions. Thats what i had figured into the times that i gave him. The one acre lot that i did in about 50 minutes also had some obstacles in it, there were no wide open runs
  10. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

.....depends if its an xls blade or not! ;)
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

figure 1 1/2 hours with 1 truck....but with experience it will be less then the 1 1/2 hour
  12. Teamdynamic

Teamdynamic Junior Member

nilsson associates makes a book with all kinds of snow removal and landscaping production rates
  13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

We have something that will help you.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding PackageIncludes:
    #1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.
  14. havenprosnow

havenprosnow Member

Thanks for all the input!