1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time for Tires!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Drottlawn, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

My 08 f250 needs new tires. I have worn out (finally) the worst tires I have ever used. The stock continentals. Holy cow, these suck. My question is my buddy has brand new take off of his ram that he wants to sell me. They are transforce HT. 350 for all 4. Worth it, or should I find something else? Right now, I figure it is better than what I have, but will they be a bad tire too down the road. The other thing to take into account is that the truck only plows in winter and tows my toy hauler in summer.
    Thanks for any advise!

2. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

Not going to find much for less, I`d try them.

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

There are about 14 bazillion tire threads covering all aspects of tires. Do a quick search and you'll have hundreds of hours of reading.

4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

You'll read so much here on tires you'll get sick of it and when your done reading you will be so confused you still won't know which tire to get.

5. Jeffcof250

Jeffcof250 Junior Member
    from Stl

I have an 09 250. My truck had Firestone ht's when I bought it and I used them last season. They had good tread but only worked ok, even with 3000+ lbs in the back. I bought dynapro at's this year.

6. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Just put bfg's on today lt265 / 75r16 700 ucks ebay to ply tires

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I've always liked Goodyear AT/S. About 350 per tire

8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

For the truck I use all year I have another set of rims for the winter. Put some real winter tires on and you wonder why you have not done this sooner. Buy the ones from your friend for summer tires.

9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Those ht's will be great for towing the 5th wheel but horrible plowing. Get two sets of tires. I did that last year and it is so much better

10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I think you're going to find that no original equipment tire is worth a crap for plowing. The reason is actually pretty simple. OEM tires are a compromise. They need to sort of work in any condition. That said, they don't excel in any condition either. So even though your buddy's Dodge take offs might be inexpensive, I doubt they're going to work very well for plowing.

Want a good tire for plowing? Buy a good Mud & Snow, or better yet, Snow & Ice rated tire, then take them off for the summer and put a good summer tire on.

11. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Thanks for all of the replies! I dont like the idea of switching tires every season. My life is busy enough. I think I will pass on the ht's and spend the money now on a good set for all seasons. Any suggestions?

12. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

BFG AT'S work good for me.

13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

How long have you had them on your truck?
    I've heard they don't last long.

14. MosesR

MosesR Junior Member

Dont waste your money on mastercrafts. Bought two sets at the same time. All seasons for Momma's SUV and a set of mudders for my F250. Both sets wore out fast. We busted belts in two of the all season tires. Replaced them with a set of firestones. I had a blow out with one of the mudders on the truck. Replaced it and one other that was looking bad. Still have two on the front. Keeping a close eye on em.

15. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Rotate your tires when you change your oil, run no more than 60psi verses the 70psi recommended (for one ton trucks) and you can get 40,000 miles on a set of BFG's - don't rotate them and you'll get 20k.

16. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

I have a set of 37" bfg at kos on my 2006 f250 diesel and run 60psi in front 50 in back year Round. I rotate them every other oil change or about 6000 miles and they currently have 60k on the set and amazingly have about 1/3 tread left and will be replaced after next summer or another 15-20k if they make it. I put them on when the truck had 55k when I bought it and just turned 114k this week. Proper pressure and rotation is key, plus I know a lot of guys with these on HD trucks they work well

17. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

Buy a good set of snow tires and mount them on rims. All seasons are good for all seasons but winter especially if you are doing any amount of plowing. You probably can find 30 minutes in the spring and 30 in the fall to switch your tires over.

Why would you even want to run tires until they are completely worn out especially in the winter ?

18. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have ran the transforce tires(235/85-16's) and they work great for plowing on my dually's. they do wear allitle in the summer, but what tire doesn't.