1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time for quotes & contracts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by girlinaflurry, Jul 31, 2002.

1. girlinaflurry

girlinaflurry Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

I am working on quotes & contracts now. I want to include a blizzard clause and additional fee for stacking/relocating snow if
    heavy equipment is required. Everyone knows heavy equip. is expensive but my partner thinks there might be the possibility of scaring off business by including this. I have seen quotes/contracts in our area and some of them don't address this at all. I think they are leaving themselves open to having to perform for exactly what was quoted. We are a small company therefore we do not have a payloader occupying garage space waiting for a blizzard, yet. We do have access to what we need but it will cost, the big boy toys aren't free ;) Any thoughts, suggestions on wording, fees? Thanks for your help.

They will always remember you if you talk to them about snow when the heat index is 100! :D

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In this area, there is always plenty of open area for stacking, so I don't worry about hauling snow. This year I included the following in my pricing structure to address the blizzard issue: 3" to 6" - $xxx; 6" to 12" - $xxx; over 12" $xxx plus $1.00 an inch. "Amount billed will depend on total amount of snowfall per storm not to exceed any 24 hour period. In other word, if a storm lasted more than 24 hours ..... 24 hours after the start of the storm would start another billing cycle." (the .... reflects wording specific to my method of operation and my customers). One method you might use is to adjust the $1.00 figure to allow you to rent equipment you'd need. I've heard of others specifically stating in the contract that the customer would be billed for equipment needed (trucks, loaders etc).

Hope this helps some.

3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

If I have a location that I think, or my experience tells me it will require, relocating, stacking snow, or hauling snow, then depending on the bid specifications, where most formal bids will provide a separate quote, for the extra service, and usually by the hour or by the load (hauling), I will simply bid this extra charge by the hour etc. If the specifications require that all services be bid on an annual basis then you'll have to allow for the estimated extra service in your bid. If it's an informal bid, then make it clear with the client what is included with your bid, if you think you may have to perform extra services then state the costs. Most clients (unless in a brand new location) will know if extra work is involved on their location during unusual snow conditions, so just ask how they want to deal with it. I don;t think you'll scare off an honest client by asking, the most important thing is that both of you have a clear written understanding of what services you are expected to provide and the costs.

Bill

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well if your going for the big accounts then I think it is a good idea to express all your fees and pricing for such things as blizzards ,salting and loader and removal of snow.You can also say that if you have a loader on site it for there use and there use only to keep there lot open and clean of snow but get a price for a seasonal rental from your local equipment dealer and let the customer pay for it up front weather it snows or not.Kinda like insurance .

5. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I have to agree with all who have posted above, be clear on all terms and conditions in any contract. The contract language that I use is something along these lines, " snow will be pushed to all outer edges of the parking area and away from the building. Stacking of snow to a particular location on site or the removal of snow from the property shall be billed as a separate and hourly charge in addition to a per load dump fee." In these parts a minimum hourly charge usually applies to all heavy equipment so this is passed on to our clients. We too are a small firm and cannot guarantee heavy equipment will be on site and we make this clear to prospective clients.

6. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Same here...

I tell them up front that I can not remove the snow and that blizzard conditions and snow removal is an extra cost and may or may not require outside contracting of heavy equipment at their expense. I will try my hardest to line something up for them but I can not guarantee it.

Word it any way you like.. But the last thing I want to do Is lie to someone who may actually need or expect that service.

If they absolutely have to be dug out imediately in a 48" blizzard and cant be shut down for a day..(like a hospital). I sure dont want to be the one who lied to them just to make a buck. I'd pass the job.

I'm not that big... Yet!

7. Sno

Sno Senior Member

They will always remember you if you talk to them about snow when the heat index is 100!

--------------------------------------
    I talked to three this week... :cool: :cool: :cool: