1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time For New Vehicle - Which?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DoplerG85, Aug 2, 2014.

1. DoplerG85

DoplerG85 Junior Member

I work for a church and the past 5 years I have been driving a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500HD, Gas, Quad Cab, 6' bed using a 8' Fisher Minute Mount Plow. I plow a 250 space lot with a misc layout that takes about 3 hours to clear properly. I also have 3 fairly long driveways withing a 12 mile radius of our main property. Truck has 90,000 miles and I've had several repairs to the front end as recently as Feb 2014. This truck has had it! I do my best to take care of it and be gentle, but the Connecticut Winters have been pretty rough the past few years. I'm wondering if there is another vehicle that is more durable and has a heavier front end that will last longer? Does a 3500 have a beefier front end or is it just the engine and drive train? Would a mason dump be a better vehicle to use? Should I look into something outside of the main manufacturers? What is the best way to research a vehicle for plowing?

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Every plow truck is going to have front end problems

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

What Whiffy said is true, anything with a plow hanging off the front of it 5 months out of the year (that wasn't manufactured that way) is going to have a loose front end at some point. If looking for a new truck, be sure to look for one with the manufacture's "snow plow prep package." I don't know about the other manufacturers, but for Ford, that includes the highest rated front springs as well as a higher amp alternator and a different fan clutch to help increase airflow through the radiator when driving with the plow raised in front of the grill. You can also help your case by NOT driving with the plow on the front any more than necessary. Around my area, I always see guys all winter long driving around with the plows still on the truck and we haven't had snow in 3 or 4 weeks and it's not in the forecast either. With me, the first nice day after I'm done plowing and making my nightly property checks for drifts, re-freeze and parking spaces that had cars in them when I originally plowed, I make a trip to the car wash and get everything cleaned and put away. With the ease at which these new plows go on and off the trucks, there's just really no reason to keep driving around with them on any longer than necessary.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well your going to get every answer under the sun as to trucks. Front end work is typical for plowers. Going easy does not necessarily mean your not gunna break anything.

5. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

what exactly been done to the front end? I got an 04 dodge 2500hd, I changed the front springs do to one broken, ive done shocks, added timbrens. my mechanic told me my ball joint was getting bad and tie rod, so I changed them all with moog products as well as my axle u-joints. I did this last year and constantly keep everything greased. I get alignments at least once a year and rotate tires every oil change. its things like this that should keep the front end last a tad bit longer (hopefully). my front end as about 15k miles on it and hope to get another 2 or 3 yrs out of it if not more. and like derekslawncare said never keep the plow on longer then it really should be, unless the truck is only driving when it snows and sits any other time. my plow goes on the day before a storm and comes off a day or two after the storm depending on how much clean up there is

6. DoplerG85

DoplerG85 Junior Member

I have a Minute Mount, so I usually don't put it on until it starts to snow and take it off as soon as I finish. Very easy to do. As for upgrading stock parts, I'm not a mechanic so I wouldn't know what to have changed. I'd have to look through my receipts for exact repairs. I think I've broken 2 tie rods and had the steering box replaced. In reading some other posts here I think my ball joints might be shot now.

7. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

yea I got a minute mount 2 there real easy. and just my .02 if one tie rod is bad or one ball joint, don't just replace the one fix all of it. I had one ball joint and one tie rod bad, I replaced all of it including my axle joints and
    steering damper. and since I didn't know how the brakes were I replaced them the rotors and calipers since I had it all apart. a lot of stuff I do myself but if I cant I found it cheaper to get the part yourself online and then have your mechanic do it, since a lot of them get dealer parts or other expensive parts.