1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time For New Tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by silverado02, May 11, 2009.

1. silverado02

silverado02 Junior Member
    from MI

It's time to replace my tires on my 2002 Silverado. I use an 8 and 1/2 foot Western plow. Any tire recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry

2. te snow

te snow Member

I had the BF Goodrich All Terrain tires that did well the whole winter and many people plowing around here run the same tire. Everyone eles has had theirs for 4-5 years and have no complaints. I currently am running the Bridgstone REVO and have no complaints about those. Most of all be sure to check the load rating for the tires you choose based on the plow you have.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

tire's

i like my cooper atr's good traction and low noise on the road

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

4. silverado02

from MI

Wild Bill,

Thanks on the tire opinion. In the background of the one picture is a tractor. It that a Ford N and if so what type of bucket? I have one very similar and have been unable to identify the type of bucket.

Thanks,

Terry

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

NOT Dunlop Radial Rovers. I repeat NOT.

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

bucket

it's a modified manure bucket 1948 model 8n du all brand series 100 sioux falls sd got a few closer pic's

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

agreed.....no dunlops. We put them on my girlfriends explorer and they dryrotted way before the tread wore out. I have the same year truck as you and have been running BFG All Terrains (265/75r16) since i got it in'04. the first set went 4 years, approx 44k. They produce very little road noise and are great in snow or rain. good luck!

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Personally, I run Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Mud Terrain Tires- 265/75R16. They do GREAT in snow- eat it up like crazy! They also do awesome in mud (one of the big reasons I got them)- plus they look awesome- make the truck look a lot "meaner." They're a little pricey, and have to be rotated often (as do all mudder tires), but if you're looking for a very aggressive tire- I'd highly recommend them!

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I run the Mickies MTZ also and love them but I have two sets of wheel and tires and run the mics in the winter and Goodyear ATS in the summer.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have plowed with Cooper ATR's - not bad. Brand new General Grabber AT2 with studs- pure junk in my opinion. This year I ran Mastercraft MSR with studs. Totally awesome in the snow. Of course I had to take them off in the spring. Hard to beat BFG ATs for a year round tire. Had two sets and loved them. Great traction in just about everything, low road noise, last a long time, look great.

Oh yeah, this has to be the most beat to death subject on this forum......

11. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Firestone Transforce AT"S. Ran all last winter absolutely awesome and very affordable for tight budgets.

12. silverado02

from MI

I looked at the Cooper Mastercrafts (without studs) yesterday. They may be a bit more noisy than my old tires however I'm thinking with the Duromax diesel that I probably won't notice. Comments?

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There are several Mastercraft tread patterns. I never noticed a significant noise with the MSRs, even with studs. My friend has a set of Mastercraft Courser CTs, which are quite aggressive. They are not noisy at all.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  14. silverado02

from MI

2COR517,

Thanks for the input. I'm going this morning to get them mounted up.

Terry

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Which tread are you getting? Studs?

16. silverado02

from MI

MSRs. No studs however. I drive this vehicle 40 miles to work everyday as well.

Thanks to all for everyone's comments!

Terry

17. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

x2 on the transforce they are awesome in snow and for just driving no noise, but they stink on grass no grab