1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time for new tires again!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

WTH! This will be the second set of General Grabber A/T's in less than 45k miles. I swear we cant catch a break lately, with the 1500 bucks just sunk into a truck we bought a few months ago to needing new tires on another truck before winter if not sooner. My last set lasted about 25k miles before they were at 2/32 and now this new set only lasted about 20k miles. The last set was warrantied as I'm sure these will but WTH, 60k mile tires lasting 20k or so. I've kept up on rotations and air pressure but no luck.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Buy some Michelins. Round tubeless pneumatics.

3. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Do you run the same tires year round or use snows in the winter and all-season in the summer? Maybe you could use a set with harder rubber in the summer so they don't wear off as quickly.

4. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

general grabber a/t tires just wear like crap. so do nitto terra grapplers. i own an auto repair shop and sell a lot of tires. the best ive foudn so far are yokohama geolander a/t, and hankook dynapro a/t tires. both wear like iron. take it for what its worth

5. Brian Young

I heard the same thing about the Yokohama's. We use these year round but you would still think I would be getting at least half the mileage out of a set. Right now they're all wearing even but 3 tires are down to 6/32 and 1 tire is at 8/32, when new they were 16/32 deep. Like I said it's only been about 13k miles since replaced.

6. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

+1 on the Geolanders. Best tire I ever got for the :mechanic:money

7. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Brian - I feel you pain. We run grabber at2's on our trucks. Heavy trailer towing KILLS them fast. I have to say though - they are the best tire ive found for the price.

I don't think the geolanders at's are severe snow and ice rated like the grabbers are. Having a tire that wears like iron, probably wont give the best grip on icy surfaces - at all.

Im from the Ohio snow belt capital, I know what your dealing with over in PA, (you get a little more then we do tho). If I was you, I wouldn't switch. When I bought my current truck, it had Michelins on it. I was so discusted with them, i bought grabbers half way through the season. And yes, the Michelins were pretty much new - the truck had less then 5k on it.

8. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I have always stuck with the Toyo Open Country's. I put them on my first truck after I wore out the set that came on it. I don't really don't think I will run anything else. I run them year round and have been impressed with them.

9. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

Been running Yoko Geolander AT on all 4 plow trucks and last Fall, put em on the wife's Expedition. Ride nice, grip nice, never had a problem. Handles towing landscape trailer in the summer and a 20 foot Hallmark trailer for sled racing in the winter. Gotta get 2 new ones for the "mule" this month...kinda lacking tread on the front after 3 years...no rotation, no pressure check, no maintenance at all..kinda love/hate relationship. I love em cause I hate maintenance!! Have General Grabbers on the Excursion but I will be swapping those over to Yokos when this set wears out. The durometer is definately softer and they are "grippier" but overall, I love the Yokos.

10. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

I had Geolanders for a while and they were pretty good tires. I switched to Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 and I have to tell you, for a few extra bucks, you cant beat the quality. Its great in soupy mud and deep/wet snow.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  11. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

Dont mean to jack the thread but did anyone ever use Mastercraft Glacier Grip tires? I found a set that are 1 season old for cheap and dont know much about the brand. Any good?

12. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

My truck eats up tires too. I have 91,000 on my truck and I am on my 5th set. They are just over half way gone. I've had BFG all terrains, goodyear silent armour, bridgestone Duelers, BFG mud terrain km2's, and the stock tires. They all wear really fast. And yes I rotate every 5000 and check air pressure twice a week.

13. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have yet to find tires that last over 20k with landscape trailer towing & plowing. I now just find the cheapest set with a decent tread. If I get two plowing seasons I'm happy more is a bonus

14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

With spinners!!!!

Could be, but what is the cost of tires wearing out this fast? There is a difference.

15. Brian Young

We trailer a 24 ft enclosed V nose every day so Im sure that becomes an issue. I will say, these tires hook up in the snow. Many nights plowing in 2wd with no problems but again, to only get a season and a half out of them...ouch!

16. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Tell me about it. I pull a 8500 pound go-fast boat on a 2500 pound trailer every weekend. Pulling 11k up a ramp really hurts the tires. Ive had the Michilin m773II's before. They last a long time, but they SUCK in the snow.

I also have been able to get away with plowing in 2wd with my grabbers, it nice to be able to.

I talked to a buddy of mine whos in the tire bussiness, he told me that all tires that are good in the snow and ice will wear fast due to the "soft" tread compound. Any thing that wears like iron he says, your not going to be real happy with in the snow and ice. He suguested that if he were doing it, he would run a set for the winter that gripps, and a set in the summer that wears long. I don't know about you guys, but im not real interested in doing that.

17. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Could be, but what is the cost of tires wearing out this fast? There is a difference.[/QUOTE]

I got the grabbers for literally half the cost of Michelin's (and BFG AT's). So for me, if they wear faster (which does suck), but I they grip better in snow + faster on the job + less aggravation = well worth it to me, even if I have to change them twice as often. When I think about it, getting two sets of grabbers for the same cost as BFG's or Michelin's, etc. Buying tires twice, for the same cost in the long run, is worth the inconvenience for the added benefit.

Everything is a trade off.

You guys should check out http://www.treadepot.com/ They have some pretty good prices.

18. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil Member

I got the same tire, 20k miles and 2 years later I need new ones. Had em rotated every 5k and only put a couple thousand on them with my plow.:realmad::realmad::realmad:

19. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Cooper has a new tire out that looks decent. The AT3. Might try a set on one of the trucks this winter. Switching tires between seasons does suck but your tires will last much longer. We've ran the Revos, Geolander ats, Wild Country XTX, and Hankook at. Those are all good tires. Revos to expensive though. Also ran some mud tires before that sucked and so do the BFG Rugged trails.

20. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I looked at plowing tires at a local tire dealer recently. He suggested the Cooper AT-3. It looks like a good tire for plowing. He gave me a price of $861 for 4 10 ply tires, mounted balanced, etc.

I prefer to plow in 2wd when ever possible, and my old Hercules Terra Tracs are getting too thin for snow.