1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

time for a new truck/plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by niko, Dec 14, 2011.

1. niko

niko Junior Member

so my 03 f250 and meyer mdII have seen better days and it's time to upgrade. my ford has been pretty good to me but was wondering about peoples opinions on gmc 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups as plow vehicles. i generally plow around 10 times a season and do around 50 residential driveways. the rest of the year it's used for construction and towing. the better milege of the gmc is appealing, i drive around 22k miles a year, but my ford has been a real workhorse in the snow always being able to do what i ask of it. i should also say i'm looking for another gas motor just cant bring myself to buy a deisel. also looking for a reccomendation for a plow. i've had fishers and meyers but there seem to be some other companies to look at. my local place is selling snow dogg plows and speaking highly of them. glad i found the site - it's been helpful

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

If your driving 22k miles a year a diesel would pay itself back in about 4 - 5 years. If you had a good vehicle with the Ford why not stick with them.

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

^^^

Not always, especially with the emissions control equipment so prevalent on diesels these days.

That said, supposedly, that new 6.7L gets stupid good mileage unloaded. Maybe someone on here can chime in.

4. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

My personal Experience is that Ford is the way to go. I was raised to be a GM guy, but as I grew up I learned that the Ford's are a better truck.

As far as plow's, Meyer has really fallen off of the radar and behind the times. I have always been a Western man, but I have bought my first BOSS this year, and really like it so far. Really easy to hook / unhook. Have not had a chance to plow with it yet, as the snow keeps missing Chicago so far.

5. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I began running GMC's in '02 when they went back to truck building after the horrible '87-'01 series was through. I have had 6 GMC pickups and 2 duallys since '02. All but 2 have been diesel. They average 15MPG not working and about 8-10 plowing. My '08 diesel is a 3500 single wheel, and my newest is an '11 2500. The diesel outperforms the gassers hands down on plowing. With 4 trucks I plow 125 drives and the experience with the GM products have been very positive. Boss V plows on the last 2 trucks, without any problems, and now my drivers of the 2 older vehicles want the Boss. We never looked back.

6. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

The new GMC and Chevrolet trucks are for guys who want the very best. Ford for all the rest...:popcorn:

Okay seriously, now. It's always personal preference and nobody is building an overall better truck. We like what we like, and I happen to like GM. I've been in some very nice Fords for sure. I've owned five of the HD series trucks and 3 Duramax powered. They have been very good in their snow plowing and overall performance. If you've never pushed a heavy load of snow with a stout diesel engine, you're missing something. Nice to just touch the throttle and watch that stack of snow grow taller.

My latest acquisition is a 2012 GMC 2500HD Duramax. I equipped it with a Western WideOut. Having owned Meyer, Boss and Western equipment, I'm now committed to Western. That committment is based on a load of factors, but the main one is solid dependability at 4am and 10 degrees.

7. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

These day's you can't go wrong with any of the big three (dodge ford gm). The new fords are butt ugly, but the new seats in them are very nice. As for the gm's they will give you the best ride. I like the look's of the gmc better than the chevy. Don't rule out dodge, they are not the dodge of 90's .Quality of dodge trucks are no worc than ford or gm. My 07 dodge/ hemi is one of the best trucks I have ever own.
    Are you looking at getting a reg cab or extended cab? If extended cab, rule out ford. They have the least rear leg room out of the three.
    As for the plow, I would say go with the dealer not the brand. If the dealer carries more than one brand flip a coin. As far as meyers plows,( I never thought I would say this ) I would buy one over a fisher in a heart beat. Meyer is not the plow brand of the past.

8. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm a Ford guy, always been very good to me and held up very well under all conditions. Just bought a Snow Dogg, but haven't had snow yet. Compared to my buddy's Fisher, I like it a lot better....both 8' trip edge straight blades. I would say that dealer support should be paramount in your decision though....same for the truck.

Good luck

9. niko

niko Junior Member

thanks for the input guys. drove a ford yesterday and will drive a gmc next week and make the call. as far as the diesel debate - i just have visions of running out of fuel in the middle of the night- there are no gas stations open at night w/ diesel on my route

10. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

If your just plowing driveways a gas will do just fine and will be cheaper due to less maintenance(no injectors, head gaskets, EGR, or turbo to deal with). Plus fuel is cheaper. I will give to to the diesel guys, they are WAY more fun to drive!! If your looking at gas trucks, you have a few options. If your going to go small block, I'd stay with chevy. 5.4 is rather gutless from what I've heard. 6.0 vortec is a good motor for what it is, I own one and I like it a lot for the resi, small commercial work I do. I haven't put a dime into the engine other than plugs and wires. I do have a small manifold leak, really common on the 6.0's, but not a huge deal to fix. Starts with a flick of the key at 195k on the odo. IFS gives you some more maneuverability as well. You can build up a chevy IFS front end with some good aftermarket goodies and really make them bulletproof. Do a search if you want to know more on this. I love my boss straight blade to, look into boss if you have a dealer around, many great features that made me choose boss over other brands. I'd recommend a truck like mine any day for residential, you can find them for pretty darn cheap as well with low miles. I'm not brand biased, just sharing my experience, I may even try a ford for my next truck. Good luck with your search.

11. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I wouldn't buy a GM or a Dodge out of principle. Both companies gladly asked for and took money from our government (in the end, that's us!). I have a pretty hard time propping up companies with government money. Too big to fail? Bulls*it. That's capitalism and that's business. Where's my bailout? Any small business owner should be outraged by this, and think twice about giving government sponsored companies like GM, Chrysler, and most of the big banks any business.

Ford never took a dime, and they're doing better than the other two. If the trucks themselves are all equal, then take a stand for capitalism and what the United States is supposed to be about and buy a Ford.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  12. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Credit cards turn on pumps, you could also fill up before the storm.

13. OrganicsL&L

from Maine

Well Said.

14. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

Please...let's not hijack this thread into a political fist-fight. I'm subscribed to see what advantages (or disadvantages) are found in trucks and plow equipment...as the original poster asked.

15. OrganicsL&L

from Maine

One advantage to buying a Ford is that you are supporting a company that kept its fiscal house in order and didn't have to be bailed out by the government. It is also American owned...unlike Dodge.

Better?

16. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I can run for 10-12 hours minimum on one tank with my '06 f350 6 liter. The one time out this year I started with a full tanks, plowed for around 10 hours straight, and I had just under 1/2 tank left. If you filled up before the storm you should have no problem unless you're really putting on the miles.

17. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I would say there is a definite advantage to buying a vehicle from a company that can maintain its solvency on its own.

18. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

My only hopeful point was that the original poster asked (and I'm quoting directly):

"peoples opinions on gmc 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups as plow vehicles"
    "also looking for a reccomendation for a plow"

I took that request for information to be based on usage and performance of respective vehicles, engines and plowing equipment....hence my hope that the information would relate directly to these things. The topic of "bailout" will of course always be a bone of contention. Understood.

19. OrganicsL&L

from Maine

Good enough. I was a Ford guy well before all of the bailout crap ever happened, and will continue to be one in the future. They have always taken a lot of abuse....not excessive, but worked very hard.....and never(knock on wood) left me stranded. That said, I do believe in preventive maintenance, which I'm sure goes a long way no matter what truck you are running.

20. niko

niko Junior Member

well i drove the gmc today. will the stock front suspension be addequate or will i need to beef it up on the gmc? i remember on my 03 f250 i added an air suspension up front and wasn't all that impressed and eventually swapped out the springs for 350 ones. the new f250 has a 10000 gvw and it seemed beefier than the gmc or my old ford so i think the springs should be good to go on the ford. as far as the plow it's down to boss,western,or snow dog. i told my wife i wanted a new plow for chistmass - she said it wouldn't fit under the tree