1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time for a new truck... need advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by stillen, Jul 31, 2006.

1. stillen

stillen Senior Member

My 95 GMC 2500 is showing its age. Its got over 160k on the odometer and has a few rust spots. It runs tip top, but you can tell shes 11 years old. I work for a car dealer part time, and I came upon a geat deal. They are offering me a 2004 F-250 Superduty Lariat with a 8 foot minute mount, extended cab, 6.5 foot bed, 4x4, tow package, automatic, etc etc, The truck has 92k on it, but they will sell it to me for 10k...... Do I take the plunge, alls i see is my friends Fords in the shop. My GMC has only had a radiator and a alternator replaced..........

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

it's a 2004 with 92K on it..... That's a lot of miles. Be curious if they did the routine maintenance on it. Maybe ask the ford discussion group..
  3. Rbronkema psfd

Rbronkema psfd Member

If it was me I wound not buy it. First off its a FORD (FOUND ON ROAD DEAD), secondly it has 92 thousand on it. That is alot of mile for a truck that is only 2 years old. If it were me I would sell the 95 and buy a new or used gm. I would get the cab and a half w/ the 6.0L engine, or a duramax, along with the 6.5' box. and put what ever plow on it. You can find a used 04 thru 05 for around 30 grand w/ all power options, and a 6.0L engine, and alot lower miles too. You are already a gm guy stay that why. Well I hope this helps you out. If I was in the postion that is what I would do.
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

one of the good things about your old gm truck is you know what you have. and what it will do for you. that is tons of miles for an 04. we just bought a 1993 gmc that has less miles than the 04.
  5. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

buy the truck, that is a crack head price, if your worried about it, just buy an extended warrenty for 2 grand an be done with it, if not ill buy it, let me know where to pick it up
  6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

dont know what i was thinking, the 1993 gmc i posted about had less miles but we paid $6500 for it (included the snow route) considering my actions with the 1993 i'd have to say buy it. that truck would book for about $20,000??????
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  7. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

I would absolutely jump on the chance to but the truck. 45k miles a years has to be all highway and highway miles are the best of all.

The thing to consider is if you do buy it for 10k$ and start have problems with it ,even after a few years, you can easily sell it for more than you paid for it. I always considered this when purchasing used equipment. If i can get a good deal on a piece of equipment use it for a few years then sell it for what I paid for it then it's defiantly a good value. I try to break even on used stuff or not buy it at all.There is ALOT of trucks out there
  8. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Are highway miles shorter than in town miles?:D
  9. TTA89

TTA89 Member

In Mass they are a hell of a lot smoother miles. 30K of town driven miles and 30K of 93/495/128/95 is a HUGE difference.

I like the Ford trucks but I hate there Diesel. The gas motors are reliable but the 5.4 fells underpowered in a 3/4 ton truck to me. I think the Fords look the best on the outside though.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge... They all need front end work eventually, the Fords like to eat Ball Joints so I'd make sure you check the front end good.
  10. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Tough crowd.....:sleeping:
  11. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

I recently got a call from a GM dealer about a 1999 Silverado 1500 with 99,000 miles on it. He was asking 10K for it so 10k for the Ford with a plow doesn't sound unreasonable as long as you can verify there's nothing seriously wrong with it.
  12. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

I thought it was funny. This is a pretty serious crowd here.
  13. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Junior Member
    from Vermont

I agree. The '05 I just bought had 13400 miles on it, was never plowed, loaded with options and the heavy duty everything. Xcab, 6.5 box, 6 liter gas ... gets 15 mpg holy crap!!! My '87 got 10 mpg! took me 2 1/2 months of HARD HEAVY DEDICATED searching but only paid 23,300 for it. AND .... it's not a ford.
  14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Junior Member
    from Vermont

why yes ... it takes less time to go 10 miles on the highway than 10 miles in town doesn't it??? they HAVE to be shorter. :dizzy:
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

By a few minutes:jester:

lol ,:waving: