1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time for a new bed spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nboeger4, Sep 19, 2013.

1. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

So its time for a new bed spreader. Whats your guys opinions on poly vs stainless? Gas vs electric? Brand? I am going to try to start shopping next week but this should help. Thanks

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

poly will be cheaper then stainless, electric is quieter then gas.

3. green ace

green ace Junior Member

Ive used salt dogg for a few years now..never had a problem. Also, they make the largest poly salter for a short bed

4. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

we have a few buyers, hiniker & air flo all of witch have the briggs engines.when you maintain them properly ive found them to be very reliable.

5. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

Yes I plan on maintaining anything just like it should. Also I do have access to a heated shop underground so keeping things clean after a storm isn't a problem. Just trying to get some ideas before I go shopping around town.

6. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

I have a very nice air-flo ss super clean new carb, fuel filter, battery & cables in cab controls works as it should for sale cant see your location from mobile.all greased fresh oil ready to make $

7. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

Kansas City. Were a long ways apart. Lol.

8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Poly

Poly has worked very well for us. Electric has been very good to us as well. We use several SnowEx spreaders including the liquid sidewalk sprayer and the larger VSS 2000 sprayer. Check them out. Less moving parts means less to go wrong. MORE PROFIT DOLLARS!

9. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I have four electric buyers and I can't say enough about them. I do alot of snow removal and salting and I will never go back to a gas engine again.

10. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

which electric buyers do you have? I called a local dealer here any he said he sells the eletric by about 3 to 1 on the gas. My only worry is this ones going on a gas truck not a diesel so it only has one battery instead of two.

11. green ace

green ace Junior Member

I have the 2000 and 1500 and never had issues. My brothers been using 2000s for years without issues as well

12. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

Does salt dog make a electric/stainless? I can't find one on there site.

13. green ace

green ace Junior Member

Get the poly...easy to unload and no other issues

14. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

Ya that's kind of what I'm thinking. Also looked online at the 2250 series buyers. Just a tad bigger but the auger is twice the size. Going to call Monday and see the $$$$ difference.

15. lucky921

lucky921 Senior Member
    from dracut

They do t draw much haven't had a problem with mine hurting the battery

16. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Poly and electric

Wow go POLY half the weight. GO electric, Never have to fill up with gas again. I have 2 salt doggs 2yd, LOVE them. Only run clean bulk salt and you can run it out in 12 minutes / 2 tons 20' to 25' spread pattern. Need a big alt and a 2nd battery helps. wesport

17. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

Went and talked to the dealer yesterday and they have a SS model with a drag link costs $400 less then the poly and weighs about 320 lbs more then the the poly. Kind of threw me a curve but I think I am going with the poly 2250.

Also after digging on this a little it actually looks like the SS is a 1.8 capacity and the poly is 2.2. The catalog says the SS is 2 but everything else online says 1.8.

I am also thinking about moving parts. It seems like the auger system has less to fail.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You should look into Boss's new VBX poly spreader,its 2 yds,either auger or chain drive,powerful dual electric motors,serious planetary gearing.I don't like being the guinea pig but karma tells me those weak Chinese motors after 3 seasons in my Salty Dogg are going to go South real soon.Almost ready to order up after I see if there's any coin left in the till after I pay Obama and Cuomo my Oct.15 extension deal.:rolleyes:

19. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

I have looked into those but the fact it's brand new worries me.

20. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

What did you go with? Any problems?