1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time for a dry run...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Motorman 007, Jan 10, 2012.

1. So as I completely enjoyed the weather of the past weekend here in New England it occurred to me that the plow hasn't been on the truck since the Halloween storm. It's nearly mid January. Do yourself a favor in the next day or so and hook up the plow and check it for operation. The cold is coming and from the Mass border north, it may just snow tomorrow night.
    This board is flooded with posts for help when we get the first real snow. Make sure it's not YOU. The pattern is changing and it WILL snow.

So get out there and HOOK UP!!!!

anybody with me????

2. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I just got done doing the same thing. Also noticed I need a new cutting edge.....just haven't had the time to go buy a new one nd slap it on :(

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Good idea indeed.

4. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Any pics of the new setup? Sorry to get off topic, back on I used to throw mine on a few times in the summer as well to keep everything moving.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Hey Stik! No pics yet buddy, I'm slacking it. I'll get some tomorrow pre storm.

6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I did mine just after xmas on one of those 50 degree days. I also loaded my ballast then. Sooner or later we will plow, right?

7. Right!!!!!!!!!

8. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

hooked mine up last night for tomorrow storm. working late at my regular job tonight, so i wont have time to put it on when i get home. works as it should, although its kinda swiss chessy, and in need of a new cutting edge.. couple more weeks it will look like a brand new plow...... oh wait it will be a brand new plow cause its getting replaced with a mm2 8' hd multiplex staight blade.

9. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, it snowed here in MA. Not enough to plow but I did see a nice 1999 F350 diesel with a 8' MM1 SEHP on it plowing for the town, contractor owned.

10. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

got about 2-2.5 inches so far... still going strong!

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

I finally got around to taking a few this evening.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for momentarily jacking your thread Dave! :waving:

13. Not a problem Buddy!!! Sweet ride you got there. Is that the car wash right across from Tassle Top? Love that vanity plate. Mine is OK too????

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thanks! No, That's Sammy's by River rd. & 302 (Buck's Naked BBQ). I prefer the one in Raymond, but this one is less then 2 miles from the house. Oh yes, your plate is what got me thinking about mine in the first place. We actually just bought the wife a brand new Varacruz and registered it: WARDS CV. I get alot of comments on it during the summer. Thumbs Up

15. I guess I forgot you were in Wards Cove. I think I told you I'm on the SW side of the island and I look at Wards Cove from my dock. The invitation remains open for a cold one any weekend in the summer. :drinkup:

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Most definitely. PM your number at some point, I'll take you up on that this season. :drinkup:

17. Practice what you preach....

I put the plow on today for the first time since the Halloween storm. So you know if I'm posting in my own thread, it didn't go well......
    All of the plow functions were extremely slow and labored. The motor sounded like it was coming apart. I figured it was ice in the reservoir even though I change it every year. I put the heat gun on it for twenty minutes. It acted as if it was low on fluid and pumping air. The reservoir was full....no ice. Pulled the reservoir and filter off. The filter was plugged 90% with sludge and metal filings. Cleaned it up and put it back together with fresh Fisher Blue and it works great.
    The burning question is...do the pumps and valve bodies fail?? There is no reasonable explanation for all that sludge and filings other than to suspect I'm gonna lose the pump. I completely cleaned the filter and reservoir last season so this is all new. Any thoughts??

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

I would suspect the pump too. You replaced the cylinders during your rehab right? I wonder if a glob was lodged somewhere and recently broke free.?.? A pressure test might tell you if it's the pump, although if it's operating appropriately.......

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's usually caused by the rams coming apart inside more so than the pump eating itself alive, on the EZV's at least. The newer units just blow the pump gears apart. :eek:

20. Well, the two of you are just full of encouraging thoughts:dizzy:

No Ryan, I didn't replace the rams, mostly due to the fact they are so expensive being the D/A cylinders. It's probably something I need to consider since both you and Mike mentioned the same thing. I gonna keep an eye on it though. We got about 3 inches here overnight and I scraped a few driveways. It worked fine.