1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Time alotted after storm?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fga, Jun 10, 2004.

1. fga

fga Member

Feels strange in this forum this time of year, but what's up? I was recently asked if I wanted to pick up some accounts for next winter. My buddy has had enough, selling his truck/plow, giving away his accounts. I don't have too many, but enough where it's taking enough time for them to ask when I'm coming. I'm a one truck, with 2/3 guys with me. If i take on more, it will surely be some time before i get to all accounts. What is the time you state as your ....."I'll be there by x amount of time after the storm"??? Thanks. It's not the season i know, but this oppurtunity is in my lap now.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't understand what you mean by "2/3 guys with me". But, to answer your question, I only tell one person that I'll try to be there by 6:00 so she can get out to go to work. Notice I said "try". I can't always get there by 6:00. That's the 1st place on my route. From there on, the best I'll do is say "around" a certain time, explaining that basically means "I'll do the best I can, but I'll be there when I get there". There are simply too many variables in the snow (already fallen and falling), weather, getting stuck, etc to make a commitment. Some people may expect you to have them plowed for opening a store. They should expect to pay a premium and you will need to make sure they're plowed before going to your residentials. The other thing is to make sure you have backup for the times you cannot get out to plow.

As an exception to what I said above, I did have an account a couple years ago that needed the parking lot plowed by 10:00 on certain days of the week. I would stop whatever I was doing about 9:00 and go do that one, then pick up where I left off.

Just be careful not to take on more commitments than you can live up to. Then after the first year, you'll start getting a feel for what you can take on.

3. snoking

snoking Senior Member

Hey there....

we tell everyone they will by done by 730am....some at seven, and some resturantes are 9am...but thats jist of it....as long as we have 1-2 inches by 2am.....if we dont have it till 4am then we puch those dead line back 2 hours.....this last year was perfect.....but if we do like you and pick up new one you cant rely on what you have to do it, if your already maxed out....if you add acount add a truck or 2....and guys....but make sure you can afford it.......if you do 20 now say by yourself and you pick up only 5 new ones....you might be better off subbing thos 5 out this year and then next year get another 5 and then by a truck...Make sense??

4. fga

fga Member

good advice guys.
    by 2/3 guys i mean, i have 1 truck w/plow, and i have 2 or 3 guys with me in the same truck, who snowblow, shovel, salt, etc. I heard that there is a law regarding, that snow has to be cleaned within a certain time of the end of a storm. how they determine that exactly, i don't know. But for us, if the snow ends at 2:15 in the morning, we are out by 2:30. Whenever it ends regardless of time, we gotta go. just don't want to be squeezed into a situation where it has to be done by x amount of hours. thought maybe someone knew what the timeline is??? cuz I don't

5. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

in NYC you have 24 hours to clear the sidewalk.

6. fga

fga Member

does that cover summonses only? or if someone slips 1 hour after the storm, would you be able to ust that as a defense?

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

We make gurantees on a specific time. Weather is not predictable as to when it will end. Routes are set up for most efficient travel and we only stray in an emergency. Each truck has a set amount of commercial and drives to get done. For a "typical" storm each route is about 5-6 Hours. Generally we will push commercial early then hit the drives and come back to clean up the commercial. In a night storm this finishes us about 9-10am. The crew goes home except for the on call man that day. He makes another loop of all commercials and handles any calls.

During the day and in heavier storms it is obvious that everything drags out longer. Just the way it is.

I tend to bounce around helping commercials and take any "emergency" calls.

8. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

the law refers to summons. i would think you could use that as a guideline for a reasonable response...customers of course wont wait that long and if someone falls you are probably getting sued regardless.....my experience is people will wait around 6 hours max. after that they get antsy,..the best storms are ones that end at night, that way i have 10 hours to clear everybody and its all done by morning. im talking strictly residential however.

9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

are apartments contracts must be done by 7:00am, our commercieal by 9:00am, and residential gets done around 11:00am while there at work and driveways are empty. after that we go back to the apartments and clear the stalls. i would say if the snow stops by 2:00 were done by noon. but we do have many crews working and will start clearing apartments 2 hours before the snow stops

10. snoking

snoking Senior Member

agree....we start at 1inch..even if its still snowing and we doulbe back and start over after everything is done or if its a big place we dont leave and just keep track of total plows....

11. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

plow at 2 inches no matter what

12. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

i wish i could plow at 1 inch of snowfall, but i would get fired. Most people dont want nething plowed at 1" 2" is the start for plowing

13. Mick

from Maine

FGA's question referred to the amount of time allowed to complete plowing once the snow quit falling. This will depend on State law and local tradition. In Maine, the law states that the business owner will have a "reasonable amount of time" after it's quit snowing to clear his area of ice and snow. As far as the depth at which plowing starts (trigger), this will also depend on law and tradition. Here, I have a 3" trigger. I've had people in the past who wanted a deeper trigger, but I passed on plowing for them. One wanted plowed only when it was deeper than the height of his car's bumper.

14. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Mick or anyone,
    is anytime legal to plow at night?

15. Mick

from Maine

Yes. I would guess that it is in Ohio, also. Especially considering that businesses need to be plowed before they open.

You should check on the requirement for emergency lighting. This varies by state. In Maine, lighting is required when operating on public right-of-way, such as backing into the roadway while plowing a driveway, plowing a parking lot etc.