1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kemmer, Oct 14, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

I was wondering how i could lift the front of my truck. when i put the plow on it sinks alot and i was wondering if timbrens will do the trick. How is it to install and will it actually lift the truck? or will it just make the ride more stiff? Its a 01 silverado 2500HD Crewcab 6.0 Gas

2. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

I have a 1998 chevy ext cab 5.7 gas. I put timbrens in the front and rear two years ago andwouldnt have it anyother way. It took all the sag out and there still is room for travel. I love timbrens. Only took 25minutes per side to install...
  3. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

how complicated is it to install them?
  4. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

They take the place of the stock rubber bumpers. you will need some wrenches and a Jack and i recommend some stands, i dont like to work off a jack when i am under the truck. Its really just a few bolts.
  5. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Jack the truck up. Support by the frame so the axels hang freely. Unbolt the stock rubber pieces. Replace with Timbrens. Tighten bolts. Done.
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have not needed to put Timbrens on any of my GMs yet. I would try adjusting the torsion bars first. My 2500HDs get 5 turns on the adjusting bolts in the fall, and turned back down in the spring. Nice soft ride all summer and no sag from the plows in the winter. Note, none of my plow trucks are crew cabs...
  7. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I suppose that works, but why go thru all the bother of messing with your T-bars twice a year? I dropped $178 for a set, installed them in half an hour, and never have to worry about it again. I get a nice soft ride all year long with no plow sag at all.

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have driven trucks with Timbrens, and they still had noticeable droop in the front end before the Timbrens kicked in. As far as time adjusting the bars. A floor jack under the front cross member, jack up to take the load off, 5 turns on 1/2 inch ratchet to each bolt, set back down on ground and drive. Maybe 5 minutes.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

It should be noted, of course, that Timbrens don't actually lift the truck, they just prevent it from sagging so much....
  10. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

The front of my truck dips 3/4 of an inch when I raise the plow. That's it. Mine is a regular cab long bed. Do the extended cabs dip more..? I personally try to avoid messing with the T-bars as I just don't like what it does to the ride quality.

Regards, Pete
  11. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

12. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I just put in my Timbrens tonight on my '02 2500HD crew it took about 30 min. to do both sides. My driver side went in, in about 5 min., but on the passenger side it gave me a little fight. I noticed that there was not as much clearance from the top of the lower control arm where the bottom of the Timbren sits so I had to break out the pry bar to force it over about an 1/8"-1/4" so all my holes and bolt would line up. Got R Done though. I love how it stiffens the front end, it only drops my front end about an inch with my new Boss 8'2" V.
  13. scaper27

scaper27 Member

I put on the front of my 99 2500 and it has been great with the plow
  14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I just finished up my install of my 8' MM1 HD on my 2000 2500 ecsb and the front end dropped about 2-3". Mine is a non-HD and has the full luxury treatment (LT package, etc). I'm thinking some timbrens might be in my future, but looking at how the rear end is liftedI think a quarter ton of ballast might make a big difference in my case too.
  15. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I just installed mine today. Ran into the same thing as you. Quick 3-5minutes for the drivers said. but the passenger side was a beeoch. Friggin lower control arm didnt sit the same as the drivers side. I actually couldnt even pry it like you did, i slipped a skinnier washer in there and said F*** this after like 30minutes of screwing around. Im sure itll be just fine. Nice stiff ride though, feels like im driving a Ford LOL.
  16. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Timbrens are great, and def. worth the $150. It's not just how much the suspension drops, it's how much stress and wear and tear you are putting on the front end components. Where the previous factory bump stops just sat in one position on the control arm, these actually absorb a lot of the weight on the front of the truck. They'll lessen the load that is put on your front suspension and ball joints, especially when hanging an 800+ lbs. blade off the front.

Oh, and btw, the install could not be easier. One bolt on either side. Just remove the old bump stop and throw the Timbren on.