1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Lubold8431, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

Ok, total newbie here.

Question about Timbrens. I have a Chevy 2500 that I plan on putting a plow on for this winter. Was wondering if I should put TImbrens on in the first place, and secondly, where should I put them? Front? Rear? Or Both?
    I am not planning on running a spreader in the bed, or anything. I plan on using some ballast to offset the weight of the plow. THanks for the responses in advance.
  2. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

depends on the weight of the plow, if its a small plow they wont make a difference, but something heavier might be good, as far as the rear, dont think you need em, wont have much weight back their anyways.
  3. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

im thinking Im going to get a Fisher 8' plow. I believe it weighs in just shy of 800# with the mounting hardware.
  4. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Hey there, When I was running the Fisher plow my first year all I did was put about 600lbs. of sand bags in the back of the truck and it worked fine, no timbrens in the front, the torsion bars were just turned up. The only timbrens that I do have are in the back, and I got those after I got my salter. You will definitly need some sort of ballast in the rear of the truck though. The backdrag blade that is on the plow adds quite a bit of weight as well. Any other questions just ask.
  5. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

Yeah, I was already thinking about running some ballast in the back, was just wondering if Timbrens really help. I am a little hesitant about messing with the torsion bars.
  6. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

Timbrens definately help i have them on my 1/2 ton works great smooth ride with the plow om too.
  7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I use 'em on the front, but my plow weighs about 1000 lbs.
  8. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

My question as well. I installed Timbrens front and rear on my 06 Chevy 2500HD regular cab long bed before installing my 8' Curtis plow. With the plow mounted and fully raised my front end dipped exactly 3/4 of an inch. Hardly worth worrying about, so I'm not going to mess with the T-bars.

9. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Well, you must have a bionic truck. Mine dipped considerably more.
  10. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Yeah, they are pretty incredible trucks, aren't they!

From your previous post it looks like we both have Timbrens up front, but your plow outweighs my 8' Curtis by more than 250#. With the plow mounted mine dips less than an inch; when I add ballast in the bed it's perfectly level and drives like a dream.

On my half ton I had the T-bars cranked and I hated the ride. I was hoping to avoid doing that with the 3/4 ton and so far so good.

11. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I have the 2500HD. Before putting timbrens in the front, the front end would dip quite a few inches when I raised my Boss 8 foot plow. I put timbrens on the front and the difference is only 1/4 inch. I used a yardstick to verify this. I couldn't believe the difference. I usually run with about 600 lbs. of ballast in the back of the truck.
  12. jbone

jbone Senior Member

where do you get ballasts??
  13. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Around here we use those 70# tubes of sand. That way the ballast doubles as sand for traction if things get icy.

14. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

YES on the timbrens. Put them on the front only. I have the same setup and they work wonders...
  15. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Tiberens on the front and air bags on the rear. bags run about 250 a set and timberns about 150 a set. Best money you can spend IMOP.

Regards Mike