1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ebski387, May 5, 2004.

1. ebski387

ebski387 Junior Member
    from ny

besides helping my s10 out alotw ill it lift the truck any? and will they work if i have the torsion bars cranked up a 1"-1 1/2"?
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Timbrens will not raise the truck any at all. Don't crank the torsion bars too high eaither or your truck will ride like a tank.
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

the front gm timbrens are designed to be in contact at all times, cranking the torsion bars that much will throw the allignment out of whack and make the timbrens worthless because it will have to sag ATLEAST 2-2¼" to full load height
  4. ebski387

ebski387 Junior Member
    from ny

how about turning them up 1" with a alignment

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I just got Timbrens for my Jimmy. I'll let you know how they are agter I install them!
  6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

EB..........I crank my torsion bars up every winter and back down
    in the summer. I have the bolt heads and crossmember punch
    marked for reference. 5 full turns, no alignment either.
    No unusual tire wear or front end probs. in 3 years either.
    (on my 01)
    A alignment will give you a piece of mind tho...........

If the S-10s are like the full sizers... turn bolts clockwise to raise,
    counterclockwise to lower....................geo
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I have a 3/4" crank or so on my fullsize and it still made contact with the factory bump stops and with the timbrens. No alignment and no real wierd tire wear after a bit 0ver 20k but I do have a slight funny pattern going on. I'm pretty sure thats because of running to high a pressure. In the winter I set my tire pressure to max up front and dont lower it when I yank the plow off. I will align it as soon as I put my tire rod sleeves on in case I screw anything up but I'm pretty sure my alignment is fine.

I have no experience with the smaller trucks but 1.5 is about the most you want to go on fullsize to keep the angles close and keep from breaking stuff and wearing stuff out quicker.

Dont go over 1.5" and make sure the timbren or factory bumpstop is in contact with your a arm. Might have a shop check your alighnemt for grins if your worried about tire life. When you crank I would take the weight off the front with a jack too.
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Rat........Just out eyeballing the bump stops on my new 04.
    They indeed make contact .

Man ...this thing is higher up than my 01 LD ! Tires look tiny!
    Wondering if I am gonna have to crank the t-bars this season?

Your right about jacking up the front end while twisting up the
    t-bars. Makes it a lot easier to turn bolt heads................geo
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Ive got a diesel reg cab with timbrens. I am running 265's for tires. I cranked the bars about 3/4" of an inch to level things a bit not because I needed em for clearance. Front end drops close to 1.5" with the blade raised(9'6" fisher V) Still plenty of clearance and I havent scrubbed my tires with the plow.

I'm running Dunlop radial rover RT's and they are great. The 265's fit great. I am thinking of going to a 255 85 16 but am unsure since they are a bit bigger. I only have 2" of clearance in a few decks with my light bar as is.