1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MarkEagleUSA, Sep 18, 2011.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Yesterday I put a set of Timbrens on the front of my 97. I was surprised to see that they clear the lower control arm by about 3/4". The gap is probably due to me having to crank the t-bars in order to accomodate my 285's but I just don't see how they're going to help once I put the plow on. Can some sort of spacer be used to get them closer to the lower control arms?

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

they should have came with a spacer? did you buy them new?

3. MarkEagleUSA

They came with the little wedges and the large diameter washers. I got all the parts listed in the instructions and I even double-checked that I got the correct p/n.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

have you had the plow on to see how the truck carries it(plow), now that the timbrens are installed?

5. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

If you crank the t bars then you have to "shim" the timbrens down otherwise they are useless. Just use large washers, I bought them from Fastneal thanks to the recommendation of B&B.

6. MarkEagleUSA

Yes. With the plow raised the Timbrens were in contact with the LCA, but it was hard to tell if they were carrying any of the load. Measuring the wheel well opening the difference between plow down and plow up was 3/4" which is the gap I had before putting the plow on. That leads me to believe the Timbrens really aren't carrying any weight.

How large and where did you put them?

I was thinking of making a couple of thicker versions of the supplied washers, say 3/4 to 1" thick, as that would put the Timbren in contact with the LCA when the truck is at rest (no plow).

7. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

8. MarkEagleUSA

Thanks for the info. I'm going to call in a favor and have the guys in the machine shop at work whip me up a couple of thicker washers. All I need to do is figure out how thick they need to be. With the truck at rest and no plow attached, should the Timbrens be in contact with the lower control arm?

9. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

yes, just barely touching

10. MarkEagleUSA

Thanks. I had a set of 1/2" and 3/4" thick spacers (2-1/2" diameter) made for me today at work. I still need to pick up some longer bolts but i hope to get this resolved by the weekend.

11. MarkEagleUSA

Tonight after work I installed the Timbrens with 1/2" thick spacers. They now just barely touch the lower control arms at rest. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to hook up the plow and really test them out.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Does it ride any different, now that you cranked the tbars & put more/bigger spacers in the timbrens?

13. MarkEagleUSA

The front end has seen so many changes in the past month it's hard to say! Actually, the ride is a little harsher since cranking the t-bars to fit my 285's. Then again, maybe it's the tires, who knows?

I'm putting the Timbrens on only to help with the sag from the plow. Can't say if there's any difference until I hang the plow off her in the next day or so. I can say there was no noticeable difference with the standard Timbren spacers... she sagged like they weren't even there. Now that they're in contact with the LCA's I expect it will handle the plow a bit better.

Tomorrow on the way to work will be the first real road test for the Timbrens. I only drove her up and down the driveway after putting them in tonight.